NVIDIA Driver

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
luishasbon

NVIDIA Driver

Post by luishasbon »

Greetings.
Dear community:

Hi, I've been testing LXDE for a while in my laptop and my desktop. I installed it with fedora 13, and it went ok at first, then I realized that some graphics I want in it like those from compiz had issues, so I thought of installing the nvidia propietary driver, I know disabling gdm or kdm or xdm works, but in the etc/x11/ does not come neither one of them I've reading about lxde display monitor finding... Lxdm but I havent been able to configure it, neither the xorg.conf, Does anyone of you get to install the nvidia driver. Please reply. Thank you.
Marty Jack

Re: NVIDIA Driver

Post by Marty Jack »

You seem a little confused about what gdm, kdm, lxdm, xdm do: they are called "display manager" because that is what this part has been called since 1988, but their only function is to put up the box that lets you log in. Nothing to do with /etc/X11 or the video driver.

With F13 you could have either the NVIDIA proprietary driver or the open source Nouveau driver. I tried to find a how-to for the proprietary driver, but it looks a little complicated.
http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod
Your best bet would be to ask around on the Fedora forums for the help you need if you are stuck.
rockdoctor

Re: NVIDIA Driver

Post by rockdoctor »

Compiz works fine with LXDE in F13 using the open-source nouveau drivers. Highly recommended. In the past, I've had to use the proprietary nvidia drivers on Fedora; I'd just download the appropriate driver from the nvidia website and compile it myself.

As for LXDM, it also works fine on F13.

My desktop system uses a custom xorg.conf file because my monitor does not emit valid EDID; not because of my choice of video driver, desktop environment, or window manager.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!