Join a larger forum?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Chriswaterguy

Join a larger forum?

Post by Chriswaterguy »

It would be much easier to engage with the Linux community by making this a subforum in a larger forum - I don't have a strong preference, but I know Linuxquestions is large and active. This would make it easier to get help from people there, and easier for people there to learn about LXDE.

Having a separate site is nice in terms of identity, but a more effective way of engaging often means sharing a site with the broader community - in this case the Linux community, which will include others with an interest in Openbox, and in lightweight desktops and window managers in general.
changturkey

Re: Join a larger forum?

Post by changturkey »

I agree, and while you're at it, get us some userbars :). (Please.)
edward

Post by edward »

The other well known desktops (GNOME, KDE, XFCE) all have their own forums, so why shouldn't LXDE have its own? I see nothing wrong with having this forum available. :D

changturkey - I have yet to see a single LXDE userbar. Hopefully one will be created at some point.
Debian Sid - LXDE
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

edward wrote:The other well known desktops (GNOME, KDE, XFCE) all have their own forums, so why shouldn't LXDE have its own? I see nothing wrong with having this forum available. :D
There's nothing "wrong" with it, exactly - it just doesn't work as well. Purely pragmatic.

The more established distros can get away with their own forums, as they already have a larger community. Even there I think there's a strong argument for using a subforum in a Linux forum rather than a specific stand-alone forum.

Case in point:
* I haven't been back here in weeks. (Apparently I'm not getting email notices of replies to my posts, even though I'm subscribed.)
* I haven't had any reply to 2 of the 4 technical questions I've posted. On another, my followup post (giving someone the answer to their question about what flash player I had installed, and giving more detail about how it breaks) has had no response. So that's 25% of my posted threads where I've had the answer I need. (And thanks to those who've responded by the way.)

If there were more people around, there would be more and faster responses. If this were a subforum of a Linux forum, there would be more people.
edward

Post by edward »

Double-check the User Control Panel to ensure that you are set up to receive e-mails when a reply is posted, it could be that either the e-mail is incorrect (typo) or your ISP could be blocking e-mails via the use of a spam filter.
Last edited by edward on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Sid - LXDE
lostson

Post by lostson »

I would see no reason to merge or move the forum to another hosted forum for a larger audience or anything like that. If people are interested in lxde they will find their way here. Also this keeps things simple. I don't have to trawl through a gigantic forum just to get at what I want. The forum is linked on the main lxde page and so people will find their way here if they wish.
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

KISS. :)
So leave it here.
maces

Post by maces »

Hi
lostson wrote:I would see no reason to merge or move the forum to another hosted forum for a larger audience or anything like that. If people are interested in lxde they will find their way here. Also this keeps things simple. I don't have to trawl through a gigantic forum just to get at what I want. The forum is linked on the main lxde page and so people will find their way here if they wish.
archibald haddock wrote:KISS. :)
So leave it here.
Dito

maces
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

edward wrote:Double-check the User Control Panel to ensure that you are set up to receive e-mails when a reply is posted, it could be that either the e-mail is incorrect (typo) or your ISP could be blocking e-mails via the use of a spam filter.
I just discovered that I have to manually click the "subscribe topic" link for each thread, even if I started it. If this could be changed to be on by default (with an option in preferences, prompted at registration) this would be very helpful.

Anyway, s long as I remember to do this each time, this will make it easier for me to stay in the loop, so the "one forum to rule them all" idea becomes less important - and though I have my own opinion, it's up to the community, of course.