Not sure about new pcmanfm

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
Tilsan

Not sure about new pcmanfm

Post by Tilsan »

I just got it installed(0.9.7) with updates to my debian squeeze install. Have been a very satisfied user of version 1 for many years now.
It seems to be becoming what I was trying to get away from with gnome and nautilus. I'm now faced with a bunch of gnome crap that doesn't seem to work, no surprise there :(

Is there somewhere where I can get some info on configuring this thing, because many things don't work and the user interface has become confusing.

What does Applications do?
How do I get rid of it?
Why does it list my windows drive which I never use, yet fails to display all my linux drives present in fstab? This is a linux program no? not a windows file manager.
Fine that is displays windows drives but what's the use if you can't mount them? Some Auth bulldust message, it worked fine before.
Where has my file-system link gone? Am I suppose to go to GO_ My Computer_ File System every time? That sucks!
And what's with the bulldust windows naming crap? "MY COMPUTER INDEEED!"

How do I edit bookmarks now? No Edit Bookmarks option!
Where's the tree view gone?
How can I change what's listed in the left pain other than bookmarks, I want to get my linux mounted drives back in there and get rid of the windows one.

When I open as root now I need a root password, sudo password doesn't work, I don't want other users to need to know the root password!

Why when I copy a file, the progress window goes full screen, seriously, why do I need that?

When I go to network why does it not show all my nfs shares also present in fstab, are these not network shares? Is linux becoming like windows? through all the "it's not like windows whining"

And why is my beloved debian forcing an upgrade to a piece of software that's clearly no where near finished when there was a perfectly good working version. Yeah yeah I know that's not your fault, just needed to vent.

Anyway, I'm sure in years to come some might find this file manager useful when it's finished, but then it's lost it's appeal, I mean why bother it's just another nautilus now!
maces

Re: Not sure about new pcmanfm

Post by maces »

Hi,

Well, beside much of the things you listed are working, only a bit different, you may noticed, that this is not the final version. It also is a full rewrite of the old PCManFM, patience. If you had read our blog, you would know about gvfs and further plans. This doesn't mean you haven't a valid points, but consider your way of speaking! If you want to stick with old PCManFM search in the forums, there is a solution.

But thanks for that very constrictive post. Love to see when users RTFM before posting.

maces