LXDE on a fresh LFS 6.3

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
nicoo

LXDE on a fresh LFS 6.3

Post by nicoo »

Hello there, :D
I have a fresh Linux From Scratch 6.3 on a virtualBox computer, I would like to install LXDE on it, I took the subversion repository, what do I do now ?
archibald haddock

Re: LXDE on a fresh LFS 6.3

Post by archibald haddock »

Compile?
Frank

Post by Frank »

nicoo, congratulations on going the "from scratch" way!

Linux From Scratch (LFS) gives you a pure command-line environment where you cannot compile LXDE at all. You first need to install a graphical environment on top of LFS. The steps for doing that are described in the Beyond Linux From Scratch (BLFS) online book (and there: chapter 23, "X window system environment").

Afterwards you will also need to install a few support libraries (such as GTK+) before you can install LXDE proper. The LXDE documentation should tell you which ones you need. The BLFS book (chapter 24) has compile instructions for most (or all?) of them.
mx-airman

Post by mx-airman »

Hello.

I'm running LXDE on my LFS 6.4 installation, and here's how I did it:

1.- After the full LFS install, I did the full X Window System Environment install from BLFS development version.
2.- Then I installed GTK+ 2.14.4 whith the following dependencies:
cairo 1.8.4, pango 1.22.2, ATK 1.24.0, libjpeg-6b, libTIFF 3.8.2 and jasper (which itself needed unzip 5.52).
3.- Next came openbox 3.4.7.2, which needed startup notification as dependency.
4.- Grabbed the LXDE and PCman packages from:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=180858 and
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=156956 .
5.- Installed all the packages one by one with ./configure make su - make install with the following problems:
- gtknetcat 0.1 needed python to build so I installed python 2.6.1
- couldn't compile lxmusic because I needed xmms and I left it for other ocasion.
- lxterminal needed vte-0.166 as a dependency.
- pcmanfm 0.5 first complained about gamin, which I installed (gamin 0.1.9) and then complained about HAL which I have already installed, but I think it is not correctly configured, so now I'm not able to mount from LXDE... I'm planning to recompile and reconfigure HAL, and then recompile pcmanfm and I'm sure that will do the work.
6.- Installed SLIM login manager.
7.- Edited the /etc/inittab file to make runlevel 5 default with:

Code: Select all

id:5:initdefault:
at the beginning (just changed id:3 fro id:5)
and by inserting

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null
at the end of the file.

That's for starting SLIM, and then, on the ~/.xinitrc file:

exec startlxde
And now I have a nice LXDE environment in my LFS... Hope that helps someone to do the same. Cheers.