lxde fails to load after install nvidia proprietary drivers

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
gijs007

lxde fails to load after install nvidia proprietary drivers

Post by gijs007 »

Hi im looking for some help as im a linux newbie and just screwed up...

I installed lubuntu 10.10 on my old laptop, I installed the http://www.liquorix.net/ to speed it up.
now everything was running fine except for some image,script,video heavy website's so I decided to install the nvidia 96.43.19 drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html.
the installation told me it had no default script for my distro it asked me if I wanted to continue I choose yes, it made some backups from configuration files and checked some things then it removed the old driver and installed the new one and edited my xorg.conf file so the new driver would load at boot.
however after the system booted it showed the normal boot text(some error messages about idg or something however it works fine) and when it was supposed to load lxdm the screen stayed black.
so I went in to the terminal with ctrl alt f1 and ran the package installer with the -uninstall command.
after an reboot the system boots up and now the black screen has a flashing - but nothing else happens im still able to go in to the terminal with ctrl alt f1.
so my question is how can use my lxde gui again?
do I need to install some driver again?
rockdoctor

Re: lxde fails to load after install nvidia proprietary drivers

Post by rockdoctor »

Haven't tried uninstalling the nvidia driver from an Ubuntu derivative recently, but two likely issues are:
1. /etc/X11/xorg.conf was not restored to its pre-existing state. Restore it manually (or delete it if it didn't exist
before you installed the nvidia driver.
2. The nvidia driver overwrites some of the open GL libraries with its own. You should probably reinstall the mesa packages.
You might also want to check the files in /etc/modprobe.d to ensure that the nv or nouveau driver (whichever one your system used prior to installing the nvidia module) isn't blacklisted.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
gijs007

Post by gijs007 »

thanks for your reply, the system was previously using the nouveau driver(before I installed the nvidia driver).

could you give me the commands that I need to enter in the terminal to change the x11 config.backup file back to the default x11 config file.
(im a linux newbie)
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

gijs007 wrote:thanks for your reply, the system was previously using the nouveau driver(before I installed the nvidia driver).

could you give me the commands that I need to enter in the terminal to change the x11 config.backup file back to the default x11 config file.
(im a linux newbie)
Not really. If you don't understand those instructions that the Rockdoctor gave you, you're probably going to have to reinstall from scratch.
gijs007

Post by gijs007 »

I understand those instructions, what I need to do is remove the x11 config file and change the name of the backup config file back to the normal name, I just don't know the code's for that... :oops:
but I guess google is my friend ;)