Distro Hell

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
LanceHaverkamp

Distro Hell

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

Hi all,

I'm a Linux end user, have been for several years. I'm trying to find a distro that actually works with LXDE out of the box:
  • * Ubuntu broke their nVidia driver installer & is generally their usual "released before it's ready"
    * The Mandriva LXDE CD won't even boot--it's reporting missing files from the install CD
    * Debian testing net install has returned to being so complex that it's unusable by non geeks--warnings & error messages kernel compilation changes requiring non-included packages & UUID drive numbers needing to be setup by hand
    * PCLinuxOS is giving me 404 & other repo error trying to upgrade after installing
I'm most familiar with Debian, but am desperate enough to look around if no one has a Debian installer that is well behaved for end users.

I'm not a Linux hobbyist who wants to spend weeks tweaking a box. I just need to get work done. Any really reliable suggestions?

Thanks,
Lance
rockdoctor

Re: Distro Hell

Post by rockdoctor »

I find the Fedora LXDE spin works out of the box for me. I've got on-board nvidia 9100 graphics and use the default nouveau driver.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!