Where are the lxpanel plugins?

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

I looked in the Debian Squeeze repos, but I see only the netstats plugin, & only for Lenny (Stable)?
It might be explained on the wiki @ lxde.org site, but that seems to have been down all day.

Thanks,
Lance
Marty Jack

Re: Where are the lxpanel plugins?

Post by Marty Jack »

They are part of the lxpanel tarball. Many of them are linked into the lxpanel executable; some others are in .so files that would normally be in /usr/lib/lxpanel/plugins. What was made a .so file is largely arbitrary.
Any plugin that is not shipped with lxpanel is not supported.

The git repo has a lxpanel-plugins subtree. This plays the same role as "staging" in the kernel; it is for work in progress that may or may not evolve to a supportable product.
LanceHaverkamp

Re: Where are the lxpanel plugins?

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

In other words:
  • 1) If the Distro doesn't include them, the 99% of the world's population who aren't IT professionals nor hobbyists can't install them
    2) Debian, with the largest package collection of any distro, doesn't support them.
Sounds like someone who knows how needs to build some .deb packages & put them into "contrib"

Strike that!

I misunderstood because there was one .deb package for Debian Lenny. I see that many are, in fact, installed and usable. Users just need to go into panel settings & find them--something no doubt in the wiki, that I would have read, had it been up yesterday when I was searching.

Thanks,
Lance