Clean shutdown possible?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
kutte128

Clean shutdown possible?

Post by kutte128 »

hi,

how can i make an automatically, clean shutdown of my running programs like xfce/gnome/kde ?
everytime after a restart or reboot all programs act like the system crashed.
or do i have to quit every single program manually?

sincerely,
kutte128
Xubuntu
archibald haddock

Re: Clean shutdown possible?

Post by archibald haddock »

This is actually LXDE and none of these above. :)
But all provied a logout menu. Go to the respective main menu and then press the button shutdown/logout (differs) and then choose your wanted option.
kutte128

Post by kutte128 »

hi,

no that's not what i meant - sorry, my english isn't that good.
the problem is something like that:

lets say i have Claws-Mail running, then i click on the Menu-icon, choose restart/shutdown.
the next time i open Claws-Mail, already read mails are marked as new, the already filtered messages must be filtered new - just like claws-mail crashed. the same problem with liferea (already read messages are new), exaile (last Playlist wasn't saved) and so on.

i have to close all those programs manually before i can make a shutdown/reboot.

sincerely.
kutte128
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

It is best if you manually close down each application before shutdown. That will be your best protection against data loss.

Clearly no one is sending SIGTERM to the applications, but even so that is not a 100% guarantee that they will shut down correctly.
I think I will look into what component is expected to do that in the other systems mentioned.