LXpanel -- How To Reload Config?

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
thraspic

LXpanel -- How To Reload Config?

Post by thraspic »

I would simply like to know how to reload the lxpanel config file, via command line.
Killing lxpanel and restarting it is out of the question.
Openbox has this for itself (openbox --reconfigure, i think) so I'm looking for the lxpanel version of this.
thraspic

Re: LXpanel -- How To Reload Config?

Post by thraspic »

I know this is possible. The main menu setting must do it to reload the main menu icon, and so does 'Panel Settings'.
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

lxpanelctl restart
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
thraspic

Post by thraspic »

rockdoctor,

The command 'lxpanelctl restart' basically is just a shutdown/reload. But when you change, say, the font color of lxpanel and hit "close" from the 'Panel Settings' gui, the settings are adjusted without having to see the panel disappear and reappear, which means that lxpanel itself isn't using the 'lxpanelctl restart' command, it's rather doing something else to update the settings. It's this something else I'd like to discover.
djsimmonds

Post by djsimmonds »

thraspic, i don't know if you've managed to solve this yet, but i am trying to do something similar.

namely, i use a touchscreen netbook and would like to be able to hide/show the panel with a keyboard shortcut (or a multitouch gesture), instead of autohide/mouse-over. in gnome, this is possible by making a script with gconftool, which allows you to get the state of the panel (hidden or not) and then set based on that state: http://superuser.com/questions/53682/is ... den-panels

now, someone on the lxde team (andre bogus) extended the functionality of lxpanelctl to include this feature: http://www.mail-archive.com/lxde-list@l ... 01672.html - however, i don't want to have to rebuild this from scratch.

so my solution in the meantime is a short bash script which checks the autohide setting in the panel file, switches it (if 0, then 1, and vice versa), then uses lxpanelctl restart. however, as thraspic said, this is both ugly, and also slow for what i want. i know that the lxpanel configuration gui has runtime updating which doesn't require restarting and hence is very smooth and fast. it seems like this functionality is not available outside the gui/rebuilding lxpanel with custom code. please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this would be a great and useful feature!

also, i'd really like to thank the lxde/lubuntu crew for all their work. initially, i just used it to rescue a ten-year old dell laptop, but it has since taken over all of my computers! just awesome.
vlak

Post by vlak »

To reload LXPanel with your config file you must NOT use the name of the config file. That's the catch.
For profile name you use just the name of the configuration FOLDER in .config/lxpanel/.
Let' assume that you have 3 folders in .config/lxpanel/:
LXDE
YourConfigFolder
and every folder has ...panels/panel, ie .config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel
So it should be like this:

Code: Select all

lxpanel --profile LXDE
and NOT

lxpanel --profile .config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel
Kanefa

Post by Kanefa »

vlak wrote:

lxpanel --profile LXDE
I've tried this and what happens is the LXPanel reappears, but on the terminal it "hangs with the message "indicator: unknown var network." When I close the terminal the LXPanel disappears as if I hadn't reloaded it.