Confused about WiFi need answers

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
Faithfully10

Confused about WiFi need answers

Post by Faithfully10 »

I am a newbie to linux. I just installed debian 6.0.1a LXDE on my Asus eeepc 701 4g. I got the synaptic package manager and from there I installed network manager gnome. I didn't see it so I rebooted and when my system came back on the wifi program was there. I opened to connect and noticed there is no option for WEP only WPA. Can't remember how I have my wifi setup but I logged in and said I was connected. I open iceweasel and I cannot surf the web, but if I plug in my ethernet I can surf? Also I tried to turn off wifi so I ran it off the ethernet only and I could not get the bottom of the window. I suck at using a touch pad and do not have a mouse. Not even sure if I was doing it right. Can someone give me some directon? Thanks.

Pam
Faithfully10

Re: Confused about WiFi need answers

Post by Faithfully10 »

Okay.... I have the wireless connection but do not have a wired connection and cannot find where to enable a wired connection. UGH! I will remove network manager gnome and try wicd.

On another note I cannot size move a window. I press alt and slide my finger on the touch pad and nothing happens.
sportscliche

Re: Confused about WiFi need answers

Post by sportscliche »

If you have network manager running and can get a wireless connect (usually more difficult) you should also be able to make a wired connection. You don't have to replace network-manager with wicd as both will accomplish the same thing. Just right-click on the applet in the tray (LXpanel) and choose edit connections to configure your ethernet located on the wired tab. You'll need to know some details about the connection (eg. manual or automatic DHCP?)

As you may have noticed, the LXDE forums are very quiet and you may get faster/better answers on the Debian user forums

http://forums.debian.net/

or the Debian IRC channel:

http://www.debian.org/support#irc

But in any case, welcome to Linux!