Trackpad scrolling

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
worker201

Trackpad scrolling

Post by worker201 »

Using Fedora 15, just migrated over from Gnome Shell. I'm using an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T-60. Under Gnome, I was able to use the far right side of my trackpad to scroll up and down. Is it possible to enable this nifty feature in LXDE?
amjjawad

Re: Trackpad scrolling

Post by amjjawad »

worker201 wrote:Using Fedora 15, just migrated over from Gnome Shell. I'm using an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T-60. Under Gnome, I was able to use the far right side of my trackpad to scroll up and down. Is it possible to enable this nifty feature in LXDE?
Hi,

Would be great to have that on LXDE for sure. I'm not quite sure whether it's possible or not? haven't install LXDE on a Laptop for daily use so haven't had such question in mind. I'll try to search for that :)

In the meantime, you can search too here: www.googlubuntu.com

I know it's about Ubuntu but you may find some helpful results.

Also, it would be great to post the same on Fedora's Forum.

Either way, let us update this thread so whoever get the info, he/she will post it here :)
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
LXNevermind

Post by LXNevermind »

It is possible (and has nothing do do with LXDE, I think), install synaptics.
worker201

Post by worker201 »

Thanks, LXNevermind. I do have synaptics installed. But while checking in the Fedora package manager, I saw a package called gpointing-device-settings. Installing that gives a gui which allows you to enable scrolling and tapping functions. I was starting to wonder whether this was going to be the sort of issue that sent me back to Gnome Shell. But now that I can scroll again, I think I'll stick around for awhile.

SOLVED
worker201

Post by worker201 »

Okay, I marked this solved, but I guess it isn't quite done yet. Although I got the scrolling to work, it cuts out every time I logout/login. The only way to get it working again is to open the gpointing-device-settings dialogue, click the box to disable scrolling, and then click the box to re-enable scrolling. I'm not terribly excited about doing this every time I log out. Any suggestions?

(I'm pretty sure this is another issue of Gnome and LXDE not playing well together)
LXNevermind

Post by LXNevermind »

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/489830

It looks like gds is bugged, and conflicts with gnome...
worker201

Post by worker201 »

Seems like a lot of Gnome is incompatible with LXDE.

Side question - how much of it can I ditch and still use Gnome programs?
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

worker201 wrote:how much of it can I ditch and still use Gnome programs?
Depends. Some Applications/Programs may work under any DE whether it's GNOME, LXDE or any other DE. Some others may not.
LXNevermind

Post by LXNevermind »

Usually if program doesn't work it's problem with program not with DE. I dont see any reason why gnome programs (as lolng as you have all dependencies installed) should not work.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

LXNevermind wrote:Usually if program doesn't work it's problem with program not with DE. I dont see any reason why gnome programs (as lolng as you have all dependencies installed) should not work.
Agreed :)