How To Connect 2 PCs via LAN (Wired) using Lubuntu 11.04

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
amjjawad

How To Connect 2 PCs via LAN (Wired) using Lubuntu 11.04

Post by amjjawad »

Hi everyone,

Don't let the subject fools you. Some users may not know this already and there is one little step that made me write this and share it with all of you so hold your horses ;)

Aim:
Connect Twp PCs one of these are running Lubuntu 11.04 and shares its Internet Connection with the other PC in another place.

Simple Scenario:
PC1 is running Lubuntu 11.04.
PC2 is running Ubuntu 11.04 or any other OS even MS Windows.

PC1 is connected to the Internet through Wireless ADSL Modem using Wireless Adapter.
PC2 is connected to the Internet through PC1 using Wired Network (LAN).

Now, what are the steps you need to follow in order to implement the above scenario and get both PCs connected to the Internet?

Usually, you don't need to do much on PC2, all the work will be done on PC1 which has Lubuntu 11.04 in this HOWTO.

1- Right/Left Click on the System Tray on your LXPanel and Select "Edit Connections ..."

2- Double Click on "Auto eth0" and go to IPv4 Settings Tab.
Please change the method to: "Shared to other computers".
Click Save.

3- Back to Network Connections Window. Please go to Wireless Tab.

Double Click on your Wireless Network that appears under Wireless Tab. In the above Screen Shot, it's Auto Wifi.

Make sure these will be the settings in your Wireless Connection:

NOTE: Please use YOUR SSID - I put XXXX to hide my SSID.

Save and Close.

4- Now, you need to add one little package to your system and you'll be good to go.

From LXTerminal, please run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install dnsmasq -y

5- DONE :D

On PC2, just make sure the LAN cable is plugged in and if you are running Ubuntu 11.04 for example, just try to refresh your Wired Connection and you should be good to go.

I have no idea why "dnsmasq' is not installed by default in Lubuntu 11.04 but that's not a problem for you any more specially after reading this HOWTO :)

Enjoy and Have fun ;)

As usual, feel free to ask, suggest, give your feedback, etc ...
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net