Lubuntu 11.10 is here so what do you think?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
whaley

Re: Lubuntu 11.10 is here so what do you think?

Post by whaley »

Just started using this, and really wanted to say thanks. Trivial to set up, great to use. So much nicer than gnome3/unity/etc. Posted a positive message to the ATLAS developer list:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/mess ... d=28549041

Thanks!
Clint
argus

Post by argus »

as of 1.1.2012. lubuntu 11.10 is the main operating system on my rejuvented laptop. Its leaps and bounds snappier and less resource consuming than Linux Mint 9 I was running before
amapola

Post by amapola »

A few months ago I was new to Ubuntu. Had an old laptop and even older pc. Didn't like new desktops on latest Ubuntu release, and my old desktop couldn't cope with it so was thrilled to discover Lubuntu 11.10.

Equally thrilled with how easy it is to set up and how well it performs. Thank you. :)
junesongnow

Post by junesongnow »

My spouse and i delivered electronically Lubuntu 12.10 last nighttime through Little bit Bit-torrent (Forty-five units) yet never have mounted this yet. I play around with a new relieve prior to My spouse and i put in i really created a thumb drive start-up computer as well as begun to perform. Every thing appeared to function good. I might bring that We are double booting Ubuntu 15.2008 as well as Lubuntu 14.04 therefore i 'm acquainted with Lubuntu (a minimum of somewhat). Our equipment is surely an ASUS EeePC One thousand with 1 Gigabyte involving RAM. Thus after the initial two a long time associated with perform period, I have only one particular remark. Good job. I am just there are generally errors which will surface nevertheless, it's even blasting rapidly working from the thumb drive. Let me probably substitute our Eleven.04 using the era earlier than later on.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I have tried Lubuntu 11.10 on two different laptops now. It is nice and I could live with it, but it is not as stable as Mint LXDE. So I'll stick with Mint.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I have tried Lubuntu 11.10 on two different laptops now. It is fast and I could live with it, but it is not as stable as Mint LXDE. So I'll stick with Mint.
Some of the things that bugged me on Lubuntu:
(1)No power manager with screen brightness control available.
(2)Screwed up search-tool in Synaptic - old way took much less time to use - like maybe 1/8th the time.
(3)No sunjava6. Open JDK just doesn't cut it with many games.
(4)Control for dual monitors often does not work. Always works on Mint LXDE.
(5)Screen background does not always set-up leaving just a plain black screen to work on, or do a reboot.
Numerous little things like this plague Lubuntu.
Last edited by seppalta on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMTMM

Post by MMTMM »

I finally got a chance to hard install Lubuntu 11.10 today. GREAT distro! :D I've been running a bunch of different LXDEs in VirtualBox for the past couple of months to single out the best one available. I'm not happy with the way the Gnome world is going, so I've tried a lot of different versions of LXDE and Lubuntu is the best one out there! So today I burnt the ISO and wiped out all the losers! :lol: Install was a breeze, and everything works fast!!! This is the way it should be. (It works even better as a hard install rather than running in VirtualBox.)
seppalta wrote: Some of the things that bugged me on Lubuntu:
(1)No power manager with screen brightness control available.
(2)Screwed up search-tool in Synaptic - old way took much less time to use - like maybe 1/8th the time.
(3)No sunjava6. Open JDK just doesn't cut it with many games.
(4)Control for dual monitors often does not work. Always works on Mint LXDE.
(5)Screen background does not always set-up leaving just a plain black screen to work on, or do a reboot.
Numerous little things like this plague Lubuntu.
I read these before installing 11.10 and can't figure out if you actually left it installed longer than 10 minutes.

(1) Wrong!
(2) Must be your computer. Mine works fine.
(3) If that's what you want. http://lwn.net/Articles/472466/
Due to the severity of the security risk, Canonical is immediately
releasing a security update for the Sun JDK browser plugin which will
disable the plugin on all machines. This will mitigate users' risk from
malicious websites exploiting the vulnerable version of the Sun JDK.
(4) (No experience with this one. Don't need it.)
(5) Never witnessed this on my Lubuntu, or on any of the LXDE distros I've tried. Again, must be your computer.

I think you should stick with Mint.

I did try Mint 11 LXDE and found it to be not a true LXDE, but rather a stripped down version of Mint 11 with LXDE added. It is the only LXDE that I tried that had the disasterous "overlay scrollbars". They showed up on Mint 11 LXDE in synaptic, disk utility, and a few other GUI's. None of the other off-brand LXDEs had those installed, but then again, they were developed from Lubuntu, not Ubuntu. Mint 11 LXDE is developed from Mint 11 (which was developed from Ubuntu), not Lubuntu.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

MMTMM: Maybe we did different installations; I installed the 64-bit Lubuntu 11.10. I can assure you that I tried it for several days (both times), that I am not a liar and that quite likely the problems encountered are not because of my computer because those problems are not encountered with other distributions and my computer is up-to-date, like 5 months old. The search offered by Lubuntu Synaptic was a drop-down box requiring a mouse click after the search item was entered. Misspell the search entry resulted in no useful information and required repeating the exercise. Contrast this with the Mint search which starts scrolling the main list from the first letter typed. Often success occurs after two or three letters are typed in the search box. I never said the Lubuntu search did not work; I said it was a much slower process than the one offered by Mint. What attracted me to trying Lubuntu was the 64-bit action and the 3.0+ kernel.

I agree about "overlay scrollbars", but it is not a problem because it takes all of 30 seconds to remove them.

I did not even mention the biggest problem with most of these distributions which is getting them to recognize different audio cards. Here, although not perfect, Mint has been the best.
MMTMM

Post by MMTMM »

seppalta wrote: The search offered by Lubuntu Synaptic was a drop-down box requiring a mouse click after the search item was entered.
What drop-down box??? I type something in the Quick Filter and BOOM! Exact results as I type. I think you are just trying to flame Lubuntu.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(102.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mick823

Post by mick823 »

"What drop-down box??? I type something in the Quick Filter and BOOM! Exact results as I type. I think you are just trying to flame Lubuntu."
The guy is correct. A new install of Lubuntu 11.10 does not have the quick filter installed by default. You have to install package apt-xapian-index from synaptic or all you get is a drop down search exactly like he described.
Last edited by mick823 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.