System tray extended + artifacts

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
xnx3000

System tray extended + artifacts

Post by xnx3000 »

Hi!

I've got two problems. First of all, my system tray (ubuntu 11.10 clean distro + lubuntu desktop) is extended - from left there are volume control, battery & wifi icons, then free space equal for four icons and then just other icons (working apps icons). How to remove free space from the middle of systray?

The second problem is, when I right-click on icons from systray to open menu, artifacts from that menu appears in free space of it, after menu is gone. See attachment.

I would be very grateful for your help!
Attachments
system_tray.png
system_tray.png (6.26 KiB) Viewed 17996 times
xnx3000

Re: System tray extended + artifacts

Post by xnx3000 »

Ok, moving systray to the right edge of panel resolved the problem with extra space. It seems that there is a bug with systray between other panel icons. BTW, no extra space, no artifacts, so two problems gone for me.

Thx anyway :)
piotreks

Post by piotreks »

I've encountered a similar situation (icons not appearing in the system tray).

For posterity's sake, I realized my lxpanel issues were caused by the fact that the lxpanel configuration reads EVERY file inside $HOME/.config/..../panels.
I had two files there (named 'panel' and 'panel.orig'). On startup, panel configuration would read BOTH files, effectively creating two panels, one on top of each other.

Even though that took a little bit to figure out, I'm having lots of fun with LXDE in general.

...sorry to hijack the thread

P
StephenH

Post by StephenH »

xnx3000 wrote:Ok, moving systray to the right edge of panel resolved the problem with extra space. It seems that there is a bug with systray between other panel icons. BTW, no extra space, no artifacts, so two problems gone for me.

Thx anyway :)
I tried this solution on my netbook with Fedora 16 and LXDE. Since there is not a native LXDE Power Manager (that I know of), only a battery meter without the capability to set options for events like low battery (unless the capability is there and I just don't know about it), I had XFCE's power manager running. When I would suspend and resume, I often would have the same problem with extra space. Moving the systray to the right definitely did NOT solve the problem for me. The only option was to remove the XFCE power manager from being displayed. Since I took it out, I have not had the problem of extra spaces. I did add the LXDE battery meter which, because it resides outside the systray, does not cause this behavior.

Hopefully, someone will be able to explain why this happens and how to avoid it or how to fix it so it doesn't happen.
mitch

Post by mitch »

I also have the same problem panel is extended, with empty spaces. Moving the system tray to the right did not help. I have noticed that my problem happens only when volume control is added to the panel. If I remove volume control, the problem disappears, no matter where the sys tray is. Any help? I`m running Ubuntu 12.04 lTS

Attached is 4.png that shows the panel without the volume control

Attached is 5.png that shows the panel with the volume control
panel without the volume control
panel without the volume control
4.png (24.91 KiB) Viewed 17214 times
panel with the volume control
panel with the volume control
5.png (50.15 KiB) Viewed 17214 times
the_philosopher

Post by the_philosopher »

The only option was to remove the XFCE power manager from being displayed. Since I took it out, I have not had the problem of extra spaces. I did add the LXDE battery meter which, because it resides outside the systray, does not cause this behavior.

Hopefully, someone will be able to explain why this happens and how to avoid it or how to fix it so it doesn't happen.
The XFCE power manager caused the same problem for me, but the LXDE battery monitor was too buggy on my machine (it always reads 100% capacity, which is a common bug). I was able to create a workaround that works perfectly for me. I turned off the XFCE power manager tray icon and downloaded a small program called batti from https://code.google.com/p/batti-gtk/dow ... 3.8.tar.gz.

Batti gives a graphical representation of the battery level, and when you mouse over it, it tells you the % and time remaining. That's all I need. I've attached a screenshot of my panel with it running.

---------
EDIT: After further use, I see that Batti's icon does not "represent" the battery level--it's just a fixed icon that's a picture of a battery. I'm still pretty happy with this setup though, as I get accurate battery information by mousing over the icon.
---------

If you want to see how it works, just download that file and extract its contents (you might check first to make sure battie's not already in your package manager--I'm using Mint, and it's not there). Then open a terminal and navigate to the new batti-0.3.8 directory and enter

Code: Select all

./batti
* You MUST be in the batti-0.3.8 directory for the command to work.

If you like it, you just need to make it start automatically at login. There's probably an easier way to do that than the way did, but here's how I got it to work:

I moved the batti-0.3.8 director to usr/share/lxpanel (you could put it anywhere you like). I then made a bash script to execute it by making a new file in /usr/bin and putting the following contents in the file using leafpad:

#! /bin/bash
cd /usr/share/lxpanel/batti-0.3.8 && ./batti
I named the script "gobatti" and made it executable. (I just right-click on the script in pcmanfm and go to properties, and on the 'permissions' tab I check "Make the file executable".)

Then, I created a .desktop file in etc/xdg/autostart named gobatti.desktop. (You'd want to put the .desktop file wherever your lxde autostart directory is in your distribution). In that file I entered (again using leafpad)

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=gobatti
Name[en_US]=gobatti
Exec=gobatti
Comment[en_US]=
StartupNotify=true
And it works great!
Attachments
panel with batti tray icon
panel with batti tray icon
batti_screenshot.png (42.74 KiB) Viewed 17044 times
MaUroLaTiNo

Post by MaUroLaTiNo »

I fixed this bug by uninstalling liboverlay-scrollbar-0.2-0 and liboverlay-scrollbar3-0.2-0 :D
the_philosopher

Post by the_philosopher »

Update: I recently installed lubuntu 12.10 on the same machine, and this bug has apparently been corrected by recent updates to lxde and/or the xfce power manager. I can close the lid, go into standby, wakeup, etc. as much as I want and everything looks as it should.
plasticassius

Post by plasticassius »

I've been using ubuntu 12.10 for some time, and had the problem of the xfce power manager icon "pushing" icons to it's left and creating space in the notification area every time the laptop was resumed. Then I happened to right click on the power manager and select Power Information from the menu, and that seems to have made the problem go away.
plasticassius

Post by plasticassius »

I recently found out that the xfce power manager icon pushing isn't related to looking at power information. Rather, I found that it was being caused by me switching my desktop directory in some scripts I wrote:

pcmanfm --desktop-off
ln -snf "$deskTop" ~/Desktop
pcmanfm --desktop &
# yes icon pushing
And, here is my fix:

pcmanfm --desktop-off
ln -snf "$deskTop" ~/Desktop
pcmanfm --desktop --profile "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" &
# no icon pushing