Can LXDE pager show icons?

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
dhave

Can LXDE pager show icons?

Post by dhave »

I know that a lightweight DE can't be expected to have all the features of KDE or Gnome. One thing I miss from the big boyz, though, is icons in the pager boxes to show whether or not any windows are open on a given desktop.

Is there any way to display icons in LXDE pager boxes?

Thanks.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Can LXDE pager show icons?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

That is a good question. I never noticed it because I always open Firefox on 1, Thunderbird on 2, and File manager on 3. I always assume that that is where they are and they have never not been there. Let me look into this because it would be a nice thing to have.

Nothing shows up on Google, Ubuntu Forums, or this forum. Interesting. I cannot believe that you are the only one that has noticed it or wanted it. I have been living with it not realizing what was missing. :oops:
Rex
StephenH

Re: Can LXDE pager show icons?

Post by StephenH »

The OP is not the only one who has noticed this. I recently switched from XFCE to LXDE (after switching from Gnome Shell) for several reasons, among which are that I needed a reliable keyboard layouts indicator and a reliable capslock indicator. Although it took a bit to figure out what I needed to do to get my keyboard layouts to work, I did find and implemented that information. However, this is an issue for which I would appreciate a solution. The panel may or may not reflect that there is an application residing on a particular desktop. Sometimes they show, often they do not. It really needs to be one or the other. This part-way functionality is not good.

Overall, I like LXDE, even if it does not have the eye-candy of the other DEs. It is certainly lightweight and fast, something Gnome Shell wasn't.