Fedora 15 minimal install with LXDE and vnc

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
u571kills

Fedora 15 minimal install with LXDE and vnc

Post by u571kills »

I would like to install a fully functional LXDE on Fedora 15 x64 minimal install and present it over a VNC session.
The grand scheme is to provide a lightweight linux desktop to users over VNC. I can't just download the .iso and install it because these virtual machines are running on OpenVZ.

So far I can install LXDE and vncserver just fine, but it's missing things. No themes, icons missing, no applications etc.
Here is what I have installed so far:

Groupinstall:
  • XDE
    X Window System
    fonts
Normal install:
  • vnc-server

The only workaround I have been able to find is to also install gnome-desktop. LXDE now looks like it should with all icons and programs, but I also have a full gnome3 desktop available; which I was trying to avoid for resource sake.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?
rockdoctor

Re: Fedora 15 minimal install with LXDE and vnc

Post by rockdoctor »

You could try installing the LXDE spin and then removing whatever you don't need - it should be possible to get down below 2GB. By the time I strip out what I don't need and add what I want (including the GIMP, Java, GRAMPS, and DevHelp) my Fedora LXDE installations weigh in somewhere around 3.2 GB).
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!