Installation of Fedora 16-LXDE failed

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
WinfriedG

Installation of Fedora 16-LXDE failed

Post by WinfriedG »

I tried to install on my netbook Fedora 16 LXDE but failed; I got a message, when asking for installation on the hard-disk, that I need >700MB RAM but have only 512MB. Is this the lightweight of LXDE or is there a failure in the version of Nov 2011, which I downloaded last week.
using Acer Aspire One netbook 512MB RAM; 8GB SSD; 16GB SD extension; at present running under Fedora 14 LXDE.
WinfriedG

Fedora 16-LXDE not leightweighted

Post by WinfriedG »

I found now, that F16 requires at least 740MB RAM.
How can you such a system call leightweighted, when it is not suitable for many netbooks.
I understood that LXDE was specially developped for such netbooks. Well well well

NOW: FOR ME FEDORA is not usable anymore.

GOOD BYE
using Acer Aspire One netbook 512MB RAM; 8GB SSD; 16GB SD extension; at present running under Fedora 14 LXDE.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Fedora 16-LXDE not leightweighted

Post by Rex Bouwense »

WinfriedG wrote:I found now, that F16 requires at least 740MB RAM.
How can you such a system call leightweighted, when it is not suitable for many netbooks.
I understood that LXDE was specially developped for such netbooks. Well well well

NOW: FOR ME FEDORA is not usable anymore.

GOOD BYE
Never used Fedora but I have Lububtu 11.10 installed on my netboot (ASUS EeePC 1000) and I am extremely satisfied. Perhaps you should try Lubuntu.
Rex
WinfriedG

Re: Fedora 16-LXDE not leightweighted

Post by WinfriedG »

Rex Bouwense wrote: Never used Fedora but I have Lububtu 11.10 installed on my netboot (ASUS EeePC 1000) and I am extremely satisfied. Perhaps you should try Lubuntu.
Thank you for this advice. At present I try Peppermint II, which seems to be a LXDE derivative of Lubuntu with some additional features. Looks very promising since it is really lightweighted (without apps only a little bit more than 50MB in the RAM; they say) I have not succeeded to load it from the live USB stick onto my USB hard disk trouble with the bootfile.

I want to test Peppermint and Mint -both closely connected to Ubuntu- running it from my USB hard disk, before I decide which to use. Maybe I include Lubuntu as well. Some people in the fora say Peppermint is a modernized version of Lubuntu.

From the live stick Peppermint looks exactly as my LXDE Fedora 16, except the coulors are different and the main menu is better ordered.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Installation of Fedora 16-LXDE failed

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Go for it. I tested Mint, Bodhi Linux (which uses Enlightenment), and Lubuntu before I settled on Lubuntu. I think you are wise testing the distros before installing. It unables you to see if they will work on your computer, to determine if they will meet your needs, and in some cases whether you like them or not. Luck!
Rex
rockdoctor

Re: Installation of Fedora 16-LXDE failed

Post by rockdoctor »

Fedora is definitely a bit of a pig when it comes to the amount of memory required for installation. You can blame it on anaconda (the installer program). I haven't tried an installation on a 512MB system in some time - it's possible that a text-mode install won't require as much memory. It's even possible to bypass anaconda and messing around via the CLI - something I do not recommend. On the other hand, once I get my LXDE desktop set up, the biggest difference for me between a Fedora installation and any other distro I've installed is the package manager (yum vs. apt-get vs. ?? or yumex vs. synaptic vs. ?? if I'm using a gui) and the configuration of repositories therein. The important thing is to find a distro that works for you.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!