print to file creates erroneous pdf files

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
WinfriedG

print to file creates erroneous pdf files

Post by WinfriedG »

I don't know if this is the right forum!!! Moderator, if necessary move it to the right place

I have no printer connected to my netbook. Therefore I use quite often the print to file option and create a PDF file. This then I either send by e-mail to my PC with a printer or I transfer it to a USB stick.
However, since some time the files could not be read anymore by adobe on my windows7 PC while I head no problems to read the files with evince on my AAO.
I played around for some time and eventually I opened evince in the terminal. When I asked to open such a PDF file I got the following messages:

Code: Select all

[Winfried@winfried ~]$ evince
Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
Error: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table
However, then evince continued and opened the file.
It seems, that in the print to file routine something is wrong. Any help?
using Acer Aspire One netbook 512MB RAM; 8GB SSD; 16GB SD extension; at present running under Fedora 14 LXDE.
rockdoctor

Re: print to file creates erroneous pdf files

Post by rockdoctor »

I ran into that problem a while back with Fedora (not sure which version) - my so-called pdf files were unreadable by xpdf, yet fully readable using evince. My thought at the time was that perhaps what's being created is a postscript file rather than a true pdf. I did not try reading those files under Windows
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!