open new pcmanfm instance in new desktop?

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
scubscub

open new pcmanfm instance in new desktop?

Post by scubscub »

Hello all,

I like to work with four desktops, but if I already have a folder open in pcmanfm in (for instance) Desktop 1, and I go to open a new one in Desktop 3, it only appears as a new tab on desktop 1.

Is there a way to change this behavior so that I can open a new instance of the program on another desktop?

Thanks for any help!
Rex Bouwense

Re: open new pcmanfm instance in new desktop?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Interesting. I have Lubuntu 11.10 (3.0.0.16) on an ASUS EeePC 1000 and I can open mine on two different desk tops. What do you have?
Rex
scubscub

Post by scubscub »

Interesting indeed! I also have 11.10, on a Dell Inspiron N4110.

So does your file manager always open new windows, or do new folders open as tabs?

Fwiw, if I stick in a USB drive, that will open as a new window instead of as a tab. But everything other time it opens as a tab, on whatever window already has that open.

I figured there is probably a "default to tab" option which I could turn off?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Perhaps I didn't understand your post. If I insert a flash drive, a new window will open on that desktop. However, if I want to open another file on a different desktop, I only have to change desktops and open it. Yours does not open like that, buy you want it to do so. Can you move one of the files that is open to another desktop or does the whole display move?
Rex
scubscub

Post by scubscub »

Sorry if I'm not being clear. The desktops work normally for all files except for pcmanfm as the file browser. If I have pcmanfm open on Desktop 1 (for example), then go to Desktop 2 and try to open it again, this just opens another tab on the pcmanfm on desktop 1.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

OK. Go to Edit->Preferences and under General change the Bookmarks to Open in a new Window. Is that what you are looking for?
Rex
scubscub

Post by scubscub »

Weel, that works for bookmarks! However, it does not seem to solve the problem I've been having. When I open pcmanfm from the directory menu in my panel, or from a folder icon on my desktop, it still does the same behavior.
scubscub

SOLVED: Re: open new pcmanfm instance in new desktop?

Post by scubscub »

Well, the best solution I've been able to find is, replace pcmanfm with another file manager, such as thunar.

For LXpanel launching, this is easy, just right click on the panel, select "panel settings," then the advanced tab, and in the box for preferred file manager, replace "pcmanfm" with "thunar" (you already need thunar installed). Or nautilus, or your preference. Anyway, I can now have different file managers open on different desk tops, simultaneously, and life is a good deal easier.

I know there are ways to more completely replace pcmanfm, but with just a month until Lubuntu 12, I'll wait and see what they do...
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Well, that seems to be a round about way to accomplish something but if it works for you.... I too am awaiting the release of 12.04. There were so many things that could be improved. I'm just hoping that they got most of them corrected.
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

You do not need a second file manager to open different windows on the same or different desktops. You must be missing one of the adjustment tools. I have pcmanfm launchers on taskbar, main menu and openbox menu. Single click on any of them brings a new window up on whatever desktop I'm in. What I'd like to know is a way to bring two open windows up with one click. I can single click multiple copies in the tab, but only with one open window :( .