Can't add Volume Control in panel

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
blippy

Can't add Volume Control in panel

Post by blippy »

I'm useing Slackware 13.37, LXDE. In the Panel Preferences window, I have added a Panel Applet called Volume Control. However, a Volume Control doesn't actually appear in the panel. How do I fix this?
seppalta

Re: Can't add Volume Control in panel

Post by seppalta »

I think the LXDE volume applet doesn't function with some distributions. The easiest solution is to find and install an alternative, like, for example, volumeicon-alsa, if you use alsa, or pavumeter for pulse audio.
blippy

Post by blippy »

I have installed the volumeicon package for Slackware. How do I get it to show in the panel?
I've added the following line to my autostart:
volumeicon &
but it didn't do anything.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I'm sorry but I have no direct experience with slackware. In general, applets are added to lxpanel by right clicking the panel and choosing add-remove. Anything recognized by LXDE should be in the list.

I notice volumeicon-alsa (version 0.4.4-1) in Synaptic. Is that what you installed? Try typing volumeicon into the run box to see the offerings. Sometimes launching the right choice causes an applet to appear in the taskbar.
gymka

Post by gymka »

blippy wrote:I have installed the volumeicon package for Slackware. How do I get it to show in the panel?
I've added the following line to my autostart:
volumeicon &
but it didn't do anything.
in terminal run:

Code: Select all

volumeicon
and see what is says. with archlinux +LXDE volumeicon works as it should.
"Kvailam gimti ne sarmata. Tik mirti kvailam gėda." E. M. Remarkas
"Родиться глупым не стыдно, стыдно только умирать глупцом." Э. М. Ремарк
"To born stupid is not shame, just to die stupid is shameful." E. M. Remarque
blippy

Post by blippy »

gymka wrote:Run

volumeicon
and see what is says.
It doesn't say or do anything. If I run it in a terminal, it just sits there running until I type Ctrl-C.

A new twist is that I fiddled with GTK recently, and now it prints out the warning

(volumeicon:8185): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "thinice",
and sits there until I type Ctrl-C. The whole thing about "thinice" is likely to be a red herring, though, because volumeicon was still giving problems under the old GTK.