Editing the menu with alacarte

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
schlossblick

Editing the menu with alacarte

Post by schlossblick »

I've edited both my laptop and my desktop with alacarte in order to change the menu. With the desktop everything went according to plan, yet on the laptop the changes I' conduct never proceed as they should and the menu remains unchanged even though they seem to be saved somewhere, since alacarte shows the right programmes checked and unchecked whenever it's opened. Why does it work on one computer but not on the other?

Kind regards,
schlossblick
Rex Bouwense

Re: Editing the menu with alacarte

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hi and welcome to the LXDE forums. Which OS are you using with LXDE? Your desktop files I believe are located in
/usr/share/applications if you happen to be using Lubuntu. And if I am not mistaken alacarte is an menu editor for the gnome desktop.
Rex
schlossblick

Post by schlossblick »

Hi Rex, thanks for the welcome.

I use ubuntu 12.04 with the lxde desktop. I was told at another forum that I could use alacarte to configure the menu, even though the former was originally designed for gnome. It actually did work with my desktop, but not with the laptop...

Kind regards,
schlossblick
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

The menu editor for LXDE is lxmed (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxmed/). See Number 8 in http://lxlinux.com/#8 for installation instructions. It does require that you have a Java program installed. It works well and provides a nice GUI for editing and creating desktop files.