Lubuntu 12.10 and xfce4-notifyd

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
mick823

Lubuntu 12.10 and xfce4-notifyd

Post by mick823 »

The new Lubuntu 12.10 uses the xfce notification bubbles by default instead of the previous default notifyosd. The advantage of the xfce notification is the GUI that can be used to modify the position and time duration of the notification bubbles. Although the application has been made default in the latest Lubuntu 12.10, it does not have the GUI visible so you have a menu item to select to modify. I wrote a "how to" a while back which I will repost here and modify so you can take full advantage of the program.
You can use the xfce4-notifyd notification instead of the notification-daemon. It has a GUI to choose location (upper right, lower right, upper left or lower left), and display time in seconds. It also has a transparency setting but it doesn't work with LXDE out of the box. The GUI application .desktop file has to be modified to get it to show up in your applications menu. Everything is already in the repository and can be installed via synaptic.

In synaptic:

Search and INSTALL libnotify-bin (This is needed to make the preview button of the GUI work. Without it preview won't work)

Now we need to make the GUI appear on the menu.

Open PCmanFM and navigate to /usr/share/applications and open as Root. (Tools > Open Current Folder as Root)

Find the Application named "Notifications"

Right Click on the file and select "Leafpad"

Scroll down near the bottom and find the command OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

modify to OnlyShowIn=XFCE;LXDE;

Save and exit.

Thats it! you can go right to the menu (Preferences > Notifications) and make your changes. There are 3 themes and the smoke theme seems to be the best of the choices. Also has a preview button to see what the themes look like and how long it will display.
Last edited by mick823 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Lubuntu 12.10 and xfce4-notifyd

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Thanks man. I just downloaded and installed 12.10 and am playing with it now. I was just getting used to 12.04 although there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of differences. I am sure that someone will find your information very useful.
Rex
mick823

Post by mick823 »

Rex, I started playing around with the Lubuntu 12.10 about a week ago. The only negative I can see so far is the latest pcmanfm v1.0.1 is buggy. I had a custom automatic wallpaper script that I used without a problem in all of the Lubuntu previous versions but that script will crash the latest pcmanfm immediately. The only way to get it to work is to kill pcmanfm and restart it. Every wallpaper script or software i have tried to use will crash pcmanfm. The only way to change wallpaper without crashing is to use the Desktop preferences from the menu. Other people are reporting pcmanfm crash problems when creating folders or plugging in a USB drive.

Update: The new pcmanfm 1.0.2 can be downloaded from here.

https://launchpad.net/~andrej-rep/+archive/ppa

The wallpaper crash problem has been fixed but I don't know about the folder or USB problem because I was not having those problems. The 1.0.2 version was just released a few hours ago. I have no idea how long it normally takes to hit the standard repositories.
Last edited by mick823 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I haven't had a PCMan crash yet. They were common in 12.04, so I am waiting. I have read that others have had that problem but so far so good with me. I have had only one problem completely unrelated to PCMan and that is installing my HP printer. It seems that HP has not yet released support for 12.10 and it will be a couple of weeks (according to Launchpad) before they do. They is a work around posted there but I am not in any hurry to kill any trees by printing something that I don't need.
By the way I grew up in the Chicago area many years ago.
Rex
SantaFe88

Post by SantaFe88 »

Hmmmm....
Scroll down near the bottom and find the command OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

modify to OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
So I'm supposed to modify OnlyShowIn=XFCE; to OnlyShowIn=XFCE; ?????

Or am I supposed to ADD LXDE before or after the ; ??? :?
SantaFe88

Post by SantaFe88 »

Never mind. Figured it out. :oops: I just added a # to the front of that line. Notifications shows up in the menu now. :lol:
mick823

Post by mick823 »

Post removed by me. I got off topic.
Last edited by mick823 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Perhaps this isn't the place to talk about HP printers but I have a very cheap HP 1660d. I only use it to print out perhaps four or five documents a year. HPLIP is excellent about supporting Linux but I am guessing that they got caught with their pants down when 12.10 got released. In any event, there is no support for it. Launchpad is aware of it and there is a work around on the Launchpad site. The support will come from HP with the release of the new version of HPLIP which I have been led to believe will occur in a couple of weeks.
Rex
mick823

Post by mick823 »

Sorry, I highlghted the text to add it in red and you must not be seeing it for some reason.

OnlyShowIn=XFCE;LXDE;

is what I intended for you to see. Can you confirm that you can't see it in my original post. Are you seeing nothing or a string of ?????.

Thanks
SantaFe88

Post by SantaFe88 »

mick823 wrote:
Sorry, I highlghted the text to add it in red and you must not be seeing it for some reason.

OnlyShowIn=XFCE;LXDE;

is what I intended for you to see. Can you confirm that you can't see it in my original post. Are you seeing nothing or a string of ?????.

Thanks
Weird, all I saw was the first part XFCE;. let's see if I hightlight something in Red: Red

Okay, there's supposed to be a red Red there, but I don't see it.

Problem Solved. For some weird reason, ADBlock is stripping the Font color codes on this web site. Once I disabled it I see RED now, ;) Don't know why, colors work fine elsewhere.

Okay, everyone go back to what you were doing, nothing to see here. :lol:

And thank for the reply, I would never known that ADBlock was doing this if you hadn't! ;)