LXDE/openSUSE 11.0

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
LaQuirrELL

LXDE/openSUSE 11.0

Post by LaQuirrELL »

When I ran across this desktop while browing the net, I thought "GOOD" .
I am running openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 3.5 and having been looking for a lighter desktop for sometime. A desktop that doesn't require a programming degree to get working that is!
While reading up on LXDE I went to the Suse link from the home page of LXDE.org, it took me to a LXDE wiki and told me how to install LXDE thru zypper.
I copied and pasted [no typos] the commands into a terminal :

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_11.0/ swyear
The first command went thru ok and added to the repositories.
Adding repository 'swyear' [done]
Repository 'swyear' successfully added
Enabled: Yes
Autorefresh: No
URI: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_11.0/

and then:
The second command went like this:
zypper in lxde-desktop
Do you want to trust key id 186F2FFC86D89A42, home:swyear OBS Project <home:swyear@build.opensuse.org>, fingerprint 02B1A6DA8F69AC3F5AE85DE3186F2FFC86D89A42 [yes/NO]: y
Import key 186F2FFC86D89A42 to trusted keyring? [yes/NO]: y
Building repository 'swyear' cache [done]
Downloading repository 'Packman Repository' metadata [done]
Building repository 'Packman Repository' cache [done]
Reading installed packages...
'lxde-desktop' not found.
Nothing to do.

I went into yast2 and check for lxde-desktop - it is not there. I found some other things related to lxde, such as:lxde-commom, lxsession-lite, lxshortcut, lxterminal,lxmenudata, etc.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong or how I get this desktop installed in openSUSE 11.0 please. I would really like to try this desktop. Thank You
swyear

Re: LXDE/openSUSE 11.0

Post by swyear »

Try 1-click Install for 11.0
http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... esktop.ymp
You had added the right repository, but
There's no more lxde-desktop package for this new version, but as an pattern named 'LXDE Desktop'
You can also install this pattern with command
zypper in -t pattern 'LXDE Desktop'
LaQuirrELL

Post by LaQuirrELL »

I have already tried the one-click install, but it did not work. Left a comment on susegeek.com website where I found the one-click install, but did not recieve a reply.
I am trying the zypper command you gave and it seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks
I'll report back whether it was successful or not.
LaQuirrELL

Post by LaQuirrELL »

@swyear
Thanks so much for sorting that problem out for me. I now have LXDE up, running and doing a bit of poking around.
One curious thing, and maybe I misunderstood, but I did not find LXDE in Patterns in the Yast2 software install window. However, I did find it listed in the Login screen where one can make a choice of desktops.

Now, that I have found that, I shall be able to carry on.

I do notice that whenever I open say, a search my resources [according to CPU Usage Monitor on task bar] max out. Is there anyway to help this? something I have setup improperly?
My machine is a P4 BioStar P4M80-M4 2.4ghz 2.0 gb ram and is not that old [1 yr]