File Manager icon view single click obscures folder name

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
heboland

File Manager icon view single click obscures folder name

Post by heboland »

Hello again list, moderators!

Is there a way to change the highlight for a selected icon, so the file name is still visible?

I like the file manager, but with this version only, the highlight is dark black, making the folder name invisible.

Repeating this post's title information, I have the file manager preferences set to "Open with single click" and the view to "Icon view".

When a folder is selected by mouse hover, the black folder name gets covered up with a black rectangle, making that folder name unreadable.

I don't know yet how to get lxde version numbers, So maybe I need to start there. Heboland.
heboland

Re: File Manager icon view single click obscures folder name

Post by heboland »

Hello List, Moderators! I'm replying back to myself to see if I can somehow attach a screenshot.

My PCManFM version is shown as 1.1.0. This problem started for me with OpenSuse 12.2.

I think I have the FM image uploaded. Heboland.
Attachments
LxDe File manager with selected folder name obscured
LxDe File manager with selected folder name obscured
PcFm.png (46.33 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

This is a bummer. Can you get rid of the black box by using the double click to open a file? Does the black box change when you change the theme in Open Box?
Rex
heboland

Post by heboland »

Thanks for the reply, Rex!

The "black highlight" happens to the selected icon. With the double click preference, selection is with a single click. With the single click preference, selection is by mouse hover.

I can click into white space in the FM display to get rid of the "black highlight".

No, changing the Open Box theme does not affect this "black highlight". I think I tried them all!

I have both opensuse 12.3 32bit and 64bit installed here and both behave similarly. 12.2 64-bit has this same behavior, but the 12.1 32-bit did not.

Chances are you use a different distro than me. Can this behavior be specific to opensuse?

For the record, my 12.3-64 kernel is this:

Code: Select all

frank[5005] uname -a
Linux linux-xeyv.site 3.7.10-1.4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 19 12:06:34 UTC 2013 (8ef74f8) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
frank[5006] 
Heboland.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Yes I am using Lubuntu 12.04, 12.10, and am playing with 13.04. I believe that they are using kernels 3.2, 3.5, and 3.8 respectively. I am only using 32 bit but both of our systems are using LXDE and have the same componets. When I changed my FM to the single click option, I get the high-lite as well but mine is light blue because I am using a theme called Lubuntu Default (blue and light blue). Apparently all of your themes use the black high-lite in Opensuse. It is a puzzlement!
Rex
heboland

Post by heboland »

Thanks for your response, Rex!

One other FM behavior should be noted here. There is a "tool tip" like box that does show the file name (with mouse hover), but moving the mouse away extinguishes the "tool tip" box leaving the black highlight obscuring the file name.

Since my problem seems to be distro related, is it fair to ask the list for comments? For example, does anyone reading this thread have the same highlight problem or an opensuse => 12.2 install that doesn't have this problem?

OpenBox Config allows me to install a new theme. Can I get a friendlier theme somewhere, or build my own?
Yes I am using Lubuntu 12.04, 12.10, and am playing with 13.04. I believe that they are using kernels 3.2, 3.5, and 3.8 respectively. I am only using 32 bit but both of our systems are using LXDE and have the same componets. When I changed my FM to the single click option, I get the high-lite as well but mine is light blue because I am using a theme called Lubuntu Default (blue and light blue). Apparently all of your themes use the black high-lite in Opensuse. It is a puzzlement!
Rex, would you give me your permission to post just the above quote on the official opensuse "Get Technical Help Here" site? If you don't want this I won't do it. Maybe posting this thread link there is a better approach anyway. Heboland.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Go ahead. As far as I am concerned, any time that someone posts anything about Linux it is up for grabs. There is a member here that has developed and maintains an lxde site
http://lxlinux.com/#index
He is in my opinion quite shy about his work because it is not passed around enough. There is more information there about the lxde than I could learn in a year. I don't know how long it took him to accumulate the data but I have found it invaluable, It was one of the sites that I quoted you earlier. Sorry I couldn't have been more help. Perhaps an Opensuse lxde user will be able to give you more infor. I find it difficult to believe that all the themes have a black high-lite, but such is life.
You know Open Box does not act that way in Lubuntu and I do not understand why it does in Opensuse
Rex
heboland

Post by heboland »

Thank you Rex for the link and the post permission!

I posted a link from this thread on the opensuse forum. Now I'll try to post a link to that forum here!

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get ... ost2560191

On the suse forum, I replied to the above recent thread. Apparently this behavior is more widespread than just opensuse. One of us responders will file an opensuse bug.

In the meantime I'll see if I can build something to use. I found a tarball to try. For grins, is it possible to get a package like a tarball or build package from your distro that has the necessary sources for one of your themes? Heboland.
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

To my mind, changing Openbox themes won't affect what is happening. I think the Openbox themes affect only the "chrome" or decoration of the windows and not the internal content of windows. That would be handled by themes for gtk2 and gtk3 apps. I think PCManFM is a gtk2 app and so you need to try with another gtk2 theme.
In other words, if you have something like lxappearance (aka Customize Look and Feel) installed, try changing themes under the "widgets" tab and not those in the "window border" tab.

I too am on Lubuntu and so cannot give any specific advice for your OS :(
heboland

Post by heboland »

Thanks for your reply vasa1!

When I look at themes, their content seems to support your suggestion. However looking at the bugs posted on Red Hat, The Adwaita "theme" seems not to exhibit the obscuring behavior. On RH and opensuse, pcmanfm is a gtk3 app, which one poster thinks is the heart of the problem.

My approach had been to add another theme. I have Adwaita-64 installed, but as of yet, I don't have that theme available. Now I know why! Adwaita is a widget!

Taking your suggestion to change lxappearance, I found Adwaita waiting. Selecting it uses white text for the file name when an icon is selected.

I'm happy with your solution, so I going to mark this thread solved! My thanks again to Rex also! Heboland.