populating Application Launch Bar > Edit

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
davekimble

populating Application Launch Bar > Edit

Post by davekimble »

As I understand it, the applications listed in the right panel of Application Launch Bar > Edit come from scanning /usr/share/applications/*.desktop and sorting the entries into a tree based on the .desktop file's Categories= line.

But when I add a .desktop file with "Categories=Accessories;" and try to create a launch button for it, I don't see the entry in the panel under Accessories, or anything else. Double-clicking the .desktop file in Dolphin launches my application OK.

So I must be misunderstanding something.
drooly

Re: populating Application Launch Bar > Edit

Post by drooly »

what's your setup?
dolphin is not lxde.
davekimble

Post by davekimble »

I run Lubuntu 13.04, lxpanel 0.5.12, plus a number of KDE apps including Dolphin.
There is a folder /usr/share/applications/kde4/ which contains the KDE apps' .desktop files, and that all works OK.
Its the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ that I have created myself that are not being added to the Applications Launch Bar > Edit window.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Here are a couple of sites that you might be interested in looking at.
http://lxlinux.com/#9
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Menu
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

i'm still not sure what that application launchbar is. is it lxpanels app menu?
because that doesn't have any edit options iirc.
davekimble

Post by davekimble »

Thanks for those links.
I tried "lxpanelctl restart" which seems like the thing I was missing, and the lxpanel did fresh itself, Ubuntu had a temporary hiccup, but carried on OK.
It didn't fix the problem though.

lxmed shows a category "Other", which doesn't appear in my Main Menu, with old versions of launcher buttons with the same name as the one I was trying to create, and when I deleted them, my latest version .desktop file was deleted - (it did warn me).

So starting again, I rewrote my .desktop file, tested that it launched OK, and put it in /usr/share/applications/ , "lxpanelctl restart", and this time the Ubuntu failure was more serious - all my launch buttons had gone, and lxpanel had reverted to its original state on installation. What's more, it STILL didn't show my .desktop entry under Accessories.

Don't you just love computers ? :evil:
davekimble

Post by davekimble »

i'm still not sure what that application launchbar is. is it lxpanels app menu?
because that doesn't have any edit options iirc.
If you right-click on the taskbar (lxpanel's window) and click Add/Remove Panel Items, you get a window containing the plugins you already have in your taskbar, one (or more) of which will be Application Launch Bar. Select the one you want to change and click Edit. That brings up the Application Launch Bar window. The left pane has what you have got already, and the right pane what you can add, organised by Category. That is the thing I am talking about.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Use

Code: Select all

Categories=Utility
in your desktop file to get application to show up in Accessories.
davekimble

Post by davekimble »

Duh !!
Thank you, that works.