Remove network icon from systray

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
mehargags

Remove network icon from systray

Post by mehargags »

Hello all,
how do I remove / disable this network icon (Screenshot attached) from the task bar?

Running on Ubuntu 20 ARM64 Headless remote server.
Attachments
2022-03-26_11-14-50.jpg
2022-03-26_11-14-50.jpg (16.74 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
drooly

Re: Remove network icon from systray

Post by drooly »

Right-click empty space in panel => Panel Settings => Panel applets => Remove the offending applet (I guess it's "Manage Networks")
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

I might be able to resolve this. Keep in mind I'm not an LXDE guru. LOL!

That network icon is in the Panel's System Tray. I never found a way to remove that. I do know that you can remove the network manager from the Autostart menu. To do that, go to Menu>Preferences>Default applications for LXSession. Then click the Autostart tab, scroll down until you find xiccd and remove the check mark in front of it. Then reboot and that icon will be gone.

drooly

Post by drooly »

smhardesty wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:49 pmxiccd
That is a "Simple bridge between colord and X" - I cannot imagine it would generate the type of icon you speak of.

The icon OP refers to might of course be NetworkManager's nm-applet.
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

Maybe it was the Network selection I removed the check mark from that removed it from the tray. I did it by accident while I was switching from XFCE to LXDE. I always removed several of the default auto startup packages in XFCE. I had forgotten to do that before I removed all the XFCE packages from my install. I finally found where to remove startup items in LXDE and accidentally removed the network from my systray. I thought it was xiccd, but maybe it was Network. I'll try and remember to play with that on the spare laptop I have. I'll be experimenting with a lot of stuff on it.
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

Sorry. I forgot all about this until just a little while ago. It is NOT "xiccd" that removes the icon form the tray. It is "Network". I just now removed that and my wireless adapter is still working just fine. I'm posting this with no icon in the tray right now. I'm not connected to anything via Ethernet so I can't attest to it still working, but I see no reason it would not work if the wireless adapter is still working.

Hope that helps somebody in the future.