Promoting LXDE

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
edward

Re: Promoting LXDE

Post by edward »

chipskhaoo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:32 pm I'd really love to see Linux Mint sprout an LXDE community release. Either that, or I need to find another dedicated LXDE distro that will load and install on my laptops. Since I spent countless hours recently going through pretty much every available LXDE distro and never found one that would install correctly, I guess I'm temporarily stuck with doing the Mint XFCE to LXDE switch. It's working quite well for me and I haven't had a single glitch as of yet.
I replied in another thread on the forum, that most distributions that offer LXDE, should also offer a package task-lxde, which will install LXDE on the system.

LXLE is a distro that is LXDE-specific, it's based on Ubuntu LTS. https://lxle.net/
Debian Sid - LXDE
blackop

Post by blackop »

Hi,

I just registered myself in forum to be part of LXDE.

I am also loving LXDE. Before as most of new linux users tbh interface looked ugly and not attractive but some later I got my first RaspberryPi, then after installing RaspberryPiOS i saw distro is Debian based and using LXDE/Openbox. RpiOS has very lovely theme and icons called PiXflat. That s the moment I fall in love with the simple and clean look and incredibly fast running desktop. After that I wanted the same look and feel on all my computers. Then I saw RpiOS has X86 OS also, so I installed it on my old IBM ThinkPads. But as RPiOS is highly modified distro, it was installing additional raspberrypi related packages. So I wanted to try it on pure Debian. I can honestly say that Debian+LXDE+Openbox is perfect match for speed. It is using very low RAM and CPU. I am using same setup for all my computers including recent specs desktop and laptop pc, and on all my old IBM ThinkPad collections (even my 20+ years old Pentium III - X20 is running Debian+LXDE+Openbox smoothly)

I wish I had some coding skills to contribute LXDE team about developing. All I can do is mentioning how good and fast LXDE is to my friends and in social media/IRC. Unfortunately people are mostly seeking fancy DEs with glowing themes and icons. If I may give some suggestions, maybe for LXDE default theme and icons could be more eye catching to attract people. and maybe some other changes like a modern look logo etc. But in my opinion first it needs a good website. I personally dont like current LXDE website, it looks too empty and too plain. and of course it should be merged with all projects like wiki - git - forum - blog ..etc. Ubuntu website can be good example.

Cheers!
Rixxkhn

Post by Rixxkhn »

smhardesty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:15 pm .
As I mentioned a few times, some distros offer LXDE as an installer option (e.g. Debian and, iirc, OpenSUSE) - have you tried that as well?
No, I haven't. I gave some thought to trying OpenSUSE and selecting to install LXDE, but I never did it. I suppose I really should try at least a couple of different distros that offer LXDE as an option. I might give that a whirl, using the extra laptop I have.
Most of these people would probably argue the opposite: LXDE doesn't make full use of everything my machine is capable of.
LXDE is lightweight, and sometimes that shows. This forum is full of people requesting (or complaining about the lack of) features that would make it less so.
I see that in a lot of distros and in browsers. What starts out to be a fast, sleek, resource conscience distro or browser ends up being bloatware because they just keep loading more and more onto them. I know I'm one of the weird ones, compared to that crowd that wants an operating system and apps that are huge and tax the machine, but I'd much rather have loads of resources NOT used just to do simple things like presenting the desktop and opening a browser or other app. Oftentimes I might have 15 or 20 open tabs in my browser, then might want to open Gimp and edit a couple of photos while the browser is still open. If 15% to 20% of available resources are used just to present the desktop, that's a whole lot of resources UNAVAILABLE to use for working in an app.
The trend of distros and browsers becoming more resource-intensive over time can indeed be frustrating for users who prioritize performance and minimalism. Fortunately, there are still lightweight alternatives and strategies to maintain a snappy system.

For browsers, you might want to explore options like Firefox with minimal extensions or lightweight alternatives such as Midori or Qutebrowser. Regarding distros, those based on lightweight desktop environments like Xfce or LXQt often provide a more streamlined experience.
AppLooter.com provides a collection of the most popular and recommended apps
Ziggi

Post by Ziggi »

The trend of distros and browsers becoming more resource-intensive over time can indeed be frustrating for users who prioritize performance and minimalism. Fortunately, there are still lightweight alternatives and strategies to maintain a snappy system.
I think we can all agree on this ...?
So why shoot yourself in the foot with...
Regarding distros, those based on lightweight desktop environments like Xfce or LXQt often provide a more streamlined experience.
Are you promoting Xfce and LXQt? :? Why would you want to double resources used or halve efficiency..? :roll:
See my posts promoting LXDE via AntiX-22 and Loc-OS :idea: :arrow: 8-)