Will the lxde desktop stop developing?

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
henrkaaaaaaa

Will the lxde desktop stop developing?

Post by henrkaaaaaaa »

:?: Lxde is a good choice, but I'm curious if lxqt will replace lxde in the future? :(
edward

Re: Will the lxde desktop stop developing?

Post by edward »

Welcome to the forum.

LXDE remains in development.
Debian Sid - LXDE
Ziggi

Post by Ziggi »

Linux org Forum say that ALL LXDE people have moved over to LXQT such that there is no future for LXDE.
I do hope this is not the case. I have just been banned from there for promoting LXDE and contradicting Admin and Mod, saying that LXDE is still alive and kicking. Their Mod is also part of Lubuntu team - so no bias there...????
In particular Antix-22 Full with LXDE which is not supported and as the owner says - never will be.
I also tried to promote this Locos por Linux who has 22,000 subscribers who also sets up Antix with LXDE (88MiB RAM used)
He has his own official spin Loc-OS but it is in Spanish but most gets converted when you set your own language during the rapid install.
Antix Forum banned me for same reasons - they are openly hostile to LXDE - especially when you show their distro running less RAM with LXDE desktop than any of their WM plus File manager combos. OMG
edward

Post by edward »

LXDE is still in development, see my post here.
Debian Sid - LXDE
wandrien

Post by wandrien »

Ziggi wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:49 pm Linux org Forum say that ALL LXDE people have moved over to LXQT such that there is no future for LXDE.
I do hope this is not the case. I have just been banned from there for promoting LXDE and contradicting Admin and Mod, saying that LXDE is still alive and kicking. Their Mod is also part of Lubuntu team - so no bias there...????
In particular Antix-22 Full with LXDE which is not supported and as the owner says - never will be.
I also tried to promote this Locos por Linux who has 22,000 subscribers who also sets up Antix with LXDE (88MiB RAM used)
He has his own official spin Loc-OS but it is in Spanish but most gets converted when you set your own language during the rapid install.
Antix Forum banned me for same reasons - they are openly hostile to LXDE - especially when you show their distro running less RAM with LXDE desktop than any of their WM plus File manager combos. OMG
There still seems to be a plenty of LXDE users, but the question is, is there anyone willing to keep writing the code.

I can look after the code and review/merge patches in my spare time, but we still need someone of the core devs to grant the access to the repo.

Sure it's totally possible to clone the repos in a separate account and provide the code maintenance there. But in this case, it's hard to keep track between pull requests and bug reports accumulated over years in the old repo and commits in the new one. So I hope the work will continue using the existing infrastructure.
Last edited by wandrien on Fri May 05, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggi

Post by Ziggi »

Sure wish I could help in any way.
I try to promote LXDE on every forum but...
Get banned for showing just how efficient and fast LXDE is
Just banned for eighth time - this time by Linux Questions... (Andy-1)
Loc-OS takes title away from Slackware based Porteus :shock:
https://imgur.com/a/tZM9oOE cropped from https://imgur.com/5OcjGbj
With this turn of speed one has to ask if LXDE needs further development...?
Surely all other DE's can only dream..... :geek:
LQ have made their forum search return zero matches for Loc-OS; they are that frightened and insecure. :oops:
https://imgur.com/a/RrzYkNW and https://i.imgur.com/I5ea2f6.png
kingblue

Post by kingblue »

wandrien wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:18 am
There still seems to be a plenty of LXDE users, but the question is, is there anyone willing to keep writing the code.
penalty kick online
I can look after the code and review/merge patches in my spare time, but we still need someone of the core devs to grant the access to the repo.
I hope all activities will continue as usual. It is very necessary.