LXDE configuration back to Gnome desktop

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
bitity

LXDE configuration back to Gnome desktop

Post by bitity »

About a month ago I successfully upgraded Ubuntu 18.04 with LXDE to 20.04. Subsequently I accepted an "upgrade" requiring a reboot, and when I rebooted I saw the following:
1) Auto-login had somehow been enabled, bypassing the login screen which offers a choice of desktop session types.
2) LXDE had been replaced by the basic Gnome desktop manager gdm3.
3) The "sudo dpkg-reconfigure" procedure to select the default DM offers only gdm3, lightdm and sddm as choices - lxde does not appear.

I have been attacking the auto-login issue first. The Users GUI does not show it enabled on my account. I looked at /etc/gdm3/custom.conf and found all items there to be commented out.

At this point I am at a loss to figure out what else could be enabling auto-login. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?
Rex Bouwense

Re: LXDE configuration back to Gnome desktop

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Ubuntu 18.04 with LXDE (Lubuntu) was the last supported version that was released by Canonical. It was replaced by LXQT for all subsequent releases. I thought upgrades from 18.04 to later releases was virtually impossible or became very unstable. However, if it were me and I wanted to stay with Ubuntu, I would back up my data, install the vanilla Ubuntu, and then download and install lxde from the repository. The latest LTS (long term support) version of Ubuntu is 22.04 (released in April 2022). There have been releases since that one but they are only supported for 9 months. That release is supported for 5 years.
Rex