system-wide settings for all users

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
olaf123

system-wide settings for all users

Post by olaf123 »

Hello!

I use LXDE with bodhi Linux.

Where can I make system-wide settings for all users?

For example, I would like to specify which browser is opened for all users with the "Web Browser" button at the bottom of the application start bar, or e.g. the settings for the screen saver.

Greeting,
Olaf
rolandcastillo

Re: system-wide settings for all users

Post by rolandcastillo »

olaf123 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:47 pm Hello!

I use LXDE with bodhi Linux.

Where can I make system-wide settings for all users?
angry gran
For example, I would like to specify which browser is opened for all users with the "Web Browser" button at the bottom of the application start bar, or e.g. the settings for the screen saver.

Greeting,
Olaf
To change the system-wide settings for LXDE, you may need to edit some configuration files or use some command-line tools.

For example, to change the default browser for all users, you can use the update-alternatives command. You can run this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
You will be given a list of options. Select the browser that you want to use as the default.

To change the settings for the screen saver, you can edit the file /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart. You can open this file in a text editor with root privileges:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
You can add or remove lines that start with @xscreensaver to enable or disable the screen saver. You can also change the options for the screen saver, such as the timeout or the lock mode.

To save and exit the file, press Ctrl+O and then Ctrl+X.

You may need to restart LXDE for the changes to take effect.