run.log overwhelmed with entries, disk fills up

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
grrgrr

run.log overwhelmed with entries, disk fills up

Post by grrgrr »

Hi all, I'm new to LXDE, in fact debugging someone else's Jetson Nano (running Bionic). We are seeing ~/.cache/lxsession/LXDE/run.log quickly fill up my disk - multiple GB's of messages in pretty rapid order, most of which look like this: "[date] [time] unassigned.172-81-62-166.spryt.net" or a similar address. There are relatively many fewer log entries that seem to talk about VNC authorization issues, vino-server, deferring authentication...Also, other entries: "[date] [time] undefined.hostname.localhost" followed by "[date] [time] hostedby.privatelayer.com".
Right now I am unable to snoop at packets (long story) to see if there's actually a now-quite-long-running blast of unwanted traffic coming in from the outside....
Does anyone have an inkling about what might be going on, and what to do about it? We don't really want to turn logging off, and even more so want to understand what's actually going on, but our system disk fills up and the system becomes unusable, and then does so again in short order after space is freed (e.g. 'rm run.log' w/and w/out then rebooting).

Thanks in advance!
benjaminmorgan

Re: run.log overwhelmed with entries, disk fills up

Post by benjaminmorgan »

Hello, I think the log entries referencing "unassigned.172-81-62-166.spryt.net" and "hostedby.privatelayer.com" may indicate DNS resolution attempts. You should verify your DNS settings and consider checking the system for any potential malware or unauthorized processes that may be attempting to resolve these addresses.
kleasywe

Re: run.log overwhelmed with entries, disk fills up

Post by kleasywe »

benjaminmorgan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:53 am Hello, I think the log entries referencing "unassigned.172-81-62-166.spryt.netgeometry dash subzero" and "hostedby.privatelayer.com" may indicate DNS resolution attempts. You should verify your DNS settings and consider checking the system for any potential malware or unauthorized processes that may be attempting to resolve these addresses.
I really don't understand what you mean