LXDM autologin not working if [server] arg is specified in lxdm.conf

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
derMart

LXDM autologin not working if [server] arg is specified in lxdm.conf

Post by derMart »

Hey,

I am trying to build a live system using turnkey linux. This results in a debian bullseye system.
I am using xfce4 together with lxdm. Both are installed using the respective deb packages.
Enabling autologin in /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf works fine, however there is a general problem for which I am unable to find the cause:
After lxdm starts and xfce is shown (running on tty7), a few seconds later the system automatically switches to tty1 and shows the console login.

To circumvent this, I want to start X also on tty1. This can be done with:

Code: Select all

[server]
arg=/usr/bin/X -background vt1
This works as X will be running on tty1, so the system no longer shows the console login after X startup. However, as soon as the arg option is enabled, the autologin no longer works.

Anybody knows how to enable autologin together with arg? Or how to specify the tty to run without using the arg option?

best
lelandhudson

Re: LXDM autologin not working if [server] arg is specified in lxdm.conf

Post by lelandhudson »

derMart wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:04 pm Hey,

I am trying to build a live system using turnkey linux. This results in a debian bullseye system.
I am using xfce4 together with lxdm. Both are installed using the respective deb packages.
Enabling autologin in /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf works fine, however there is a general problem for which I am unable to find the cause:
After lxdm starts and xfce is shown (running on tty7), a few seconds later the system automatically switches to tty1 and shows the console login.
geometry dash subzero
To circumvent this, I want to start X also on tty1. This can be done with:

[server]
arg=/usr/bin/X -background vt1
This works as X will be running on tty1, so the system no longer shows the console login after X startup. However, as soon as the arg option is enabled, the autologin no longer works.

Anybody knows how to enable autologin together with arg? Or how to specify the tty to run without using the arg option?

best
If you want to specify the tty to run without using the arg option, you can edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Open the file in a text editor and look for the following section:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontVTSwitch" "false"
EndSection
Change false to true, save the file, and restart your system. This should prevent X from switching to another tty.