AntiX-23 LXDE = SAFE – Simple AntiX Fast Efficient Pt:1

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Ziggi

AntiX-23 LXDE = SAFE – Simple AntiX Fast Efficient Pt:1

Post by Ziggi »

The objective here is to install antiX-23 keeping it SAFE :)
To avoid the designed by committee criticism feel aimed at the multifarious environments and the Debian Swiss Army Knife applications menu.

This is made even more difficult by the plethora of iso distro images currently available followed by further choices upon installation. The experts over on their forum are of little help as each is as wedded to their own permutation as I am :)
https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/01/antix_23/

One strange phenomenon being that the antiX-base version seems to be less efficient than the antix-Full version with it’s massive list of utilities and apps. I never found a reason as to why. Never discovered why Debian itself or BunsenLabs were so inefficient either :(
AntiX-23 base version is the one to use for me as I am not clever enough to net install, but may have a go some time soon. AntiX Full; even though I get fantastic 149MB RAM at idle, has still got a very large menu which has many items that you can’t remove without affecting others or crashing the system.
So I hope antiX-base will prove okay even though the 23 download section is over six months old and the 23.1 updated iso is still with the devs in as I write in February 2024. Shame; as I understand there is a massive update of 140 packages – let’s dive in – OMG. (make sure your Wi-Fi internet connection is on)
Had to smile because even with all the antix-base utilities and apps there is no screenshot app – okay – get the camera out….

The first stage will be to install antix-base and then install LXDE over the top of those dreadful WM window managers with….

sudo apt update && sudo apt install lxde elogind libpam-elogind

Reboot

Oh no! It’s true, a massive update – Oh well; better put the kettle on :)
Then you may get errors and warnings that could be above your pay grade?
Just plough on and see what transpires after a reboot.
Sure enough at the login page you can tab through all the WM combinations using the F1 key till you get to our favourite LXDE – I reboot again for good measure and find there is some issues with early crypt failure and Alsa sound – ignore for now. :?

Quickly install Synaptic Package Manager to enable other installations and remove others – throw the excess-baggage overboard. Install antix-screenshot app and gpicview :)
Install your favourite apps cups, xinput, LXAppearance, LXAppearance-obconf, hardinfo, LibreOffice, Gimp, drawing etc.
( after use - sudo apt install libreoffice-gtk3 – to avoid small fonts in menu )
https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/libreoffi ... mall/34225

In Synaptic Package Manager use the search to find all items IceWM, Fluxbox, JWM, Herbstluftwm, Rox, zzz and mark for complete removal then Apply after checking openbox is not amongst the removal list.
Reboot
This should have removed not only the excess-baggage but also their menu item entries. :D

Hopefully you will have removed RoxTerm terminal and RoXfiler and made LXTerminal the default terminal :) where you can enter….
sudo pcmanfm which will give you the privilege to delete items when you navigate to /usr/share/applications and go to delete the item(s) right click and move to Trash :) At the same time I would copy my wallpapers to the proper place > /usr/share/lxde/wallpapers Also copy any menu logos and panel backgrounds to > /usr/share/lxde/images

Chill for a few days and play with AntiX-23 LXDE and identify anything you wish to remove from the menu.

Trust you did better than this OAP amateur at 73 years old?
At one juncture I managed to have both kernels
Linux 5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp (x86_64) and the 6.1 version on the same installation. Out of the box; booting the 5.1 gave 197MB RAM at idle whereas booting the 6.1 gave 230MB.

Video and pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/9TbXA4m

Part:2 coming soon :)

-Product-
Name : Latitude E6420
Family : (Not available)
Vendor : Dell Inc.
Version : 01
-BIOS-
Date : 03/07/2013
Version : A17
-Board-
Name : 038C0K
Version : A00
Serial Number : /43TSBS1/CN1296123F0190/
Asset Tag : 0741
-Chassis-
Type : [9] Laptop
Version : (Not available)
Serial Number : 43TSBS1
Asset Tag : 0741
Ziggi

Re: AntiX-23 LXDE = SAFE – Simple AntiX Fast Efficient Pt:1

Post by Ziggi »

Oooops! You may be wondering why there are two Trisquel LXDE screenshots in the imgur link https://imgur.com/a/9TbXA4m
They show the origins of miniMAX back in 2021 getting 112MB RAM used.
I deliberately bloated it with many mega apps to try and break it but it kept on performing faultlessly. Later I disliked upstream ubuntu so switched to Arch based distros and now sticking with AntiX & Loc-OS

Sorry for any confusion – I am 73 you know :) lol