AntiX-23 LXDE = SAFE – Simple AntiX Fast Efficient Pt:2

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Ziggi

AntiX-23 LXDE = SAFE – Simple AntiX Fast Efficient Pt:2

Post by Ziggi »

A sense of relief prevails as the excess-baggage has been thrown overboard or more kindly; environments surplus to requirements jettisoned :)
https://imgur.com/a/9TbXA4m

We still have to evolve the menu from being the Debian Swiss Army Knife into a menu that is focused on useful for regular everyday applications or programs. A major step forward has already been achieved by installing antiX-23 base rather than antix-23 Full with its massive menu. We still have some way to go.
We will probably take different paths from here as we all have our own unique requirements. 8-)

Many will require the basics for their day to day workflow or leisure such as web browser, office apps, graphic apps, sound and video apps. The ability to not only view, hear, write and take images plus movies but the ability to edit same? Some may require a Control Panel whereas others will use the menu or LXTerminal, Root Terminal or sudo PCManFM. :geek:

After viewing my previous post: AntiX-23 LXDE = SAFE – Simple AntiX Fast Efficient Pt:1...
viewtopic.php?t=42286
… you will have decided which menu items are surplus to your requirements and hopefully made a shortlist. :P

For readers less familiar with LXDE – you have friends: ;) Quickly install Synaptic Package Manager (via control panel) to enable other installations and remove others – throw the excess-baggage overboard. With Synaptic PM first click the reload icon then install antix-screenshot app and gpicview :) this is easy as you can use the search icon once for ‘screenshot’ and once for ‘gpicview’ marking them for installation. Click the Apply – sorted – job done: config files and menu updated for you. Obviously apply same method for any of your favoured apps – I ask you – How could it be any easier?
Now reboot and in LXTerminal :idea: :)
sudo apt upgrade or sudo apt upgrade –-fix-missing
All good - reboot again and in LXTerminal type ‘sudo apt update’ to find all is up-to-date :)

Okay: We need to start removing menu items. The easiest way is to once again use Synaptic PM and mark items for complete removal – but first we need to identify what the package is actually named…? Right click any menu item and then choose ‘properties’ where you can copy the actual package name to your clipboard for pasting into the Synaptic PM ‘search’ – once identified mark for complete removal and ‘Apply’ – Easy :) A quick check will find the item or App has been removed (along with its config file) :D

You may find some menu apps or facilities are stubborn and resist erasure :( :cry:
This is easy to remedy with LXTerminal type sudo pcmanfm and enter your password.
From the Home folder navigate to /usr/share/applications and go to delete the item(s) right click and move to Trash :) At the same time I would copy my wallpapers to the proper place > /usr/share/lxde/wallpapers Also copy any menu logos and panel backgrounds to > /usr/share/lxde/images
For example I see no need to have Alsasound or Alsamixer in the menu as it can easily be launched by right clicking the ‘volume icon’ in the panel. Thus I delete them from /usr/share/applications. Now reboot – All good? :D

Once again have a read of….
https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/01/antix_23/

Please take a look at my setup and menus on imgur dot com
https://imgur.com/a/nBzV0WZ

Can I ask you LXers if I have addressed criticisms by The Register?

Is my LXDE setup a little faster than any antix 23 WM-FM combo?
More efficient with major Apps installed than the empty antiX-base?
Does my setup and menu meet your basic requirements?
Can you suggest anything surplus to requirements?
Any additional Apps?

Thanks Guys

ps. are there any LXDE or Openbox video guides on our forum or links to such?
Ziggi

Re: AntiX-23 LXDE = SAFE – Simple AntiX Fast Efficient Pt:2

Post by Ziggi »

antiX 23.1 Released ;)

The long awaited point release of antiX-23 has just been released :)
Should be able to get up and running with…

sudo apt update && sudo apt install lxde elogind libpam-elogind

As antiX is a true blooded Debian distro I would also install…

apt install task-lxde-desktop (Top-Tip)
update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

This would be after removing all traces of WMs & FMs :)
Make sure to switch to lightDM

I downloaded the 2 hour old antiX 23.1 core iso and made a bootable USB.
It booted up just fine and found my WiFi internet – cool ;)
Alas it wanted to install and wipe partitions – above my pay grade and experience. It had no drive encryption so I typed exit and then powered off.

Question is: Do I use ‘sudo apt dist-upgrade’ ….? to get 23.1 :?:
My AntiX 23 LXDE is running super fast and stable :)
Will dist-upgrade bring back all those horrid WMs & FMs as well as the other excess-baggage that I have jettisoned ? :(
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

If you use that command I believe it will install 23.1 including all of the programs that you have thoughtfully un-installed. However If you have been upgrading regularly you already have those installed even if your computer says that it only has 23 installed. For some reason AntiX does not advance and tell you that you have the point release installed like it's cousin MX Linux. Thus the only advantage to having a flash drive with 23.1 on it, is you do not have to install all of the upgrades when you use it to install because they are already included.
Rex
Ziggi

Post by Ziggi »

If you use that command I believe it will install 23.1 including all of the programs that you have thoughtfully un-installed.
Thanks Rex – On your advice I will leave my LXDE setup as is.
Yes, I am fully updated – every day :)

BTW after installing HP printer packages then quickly uninstalling them and just using cups; RAM at idle crept up to 250MB – OMG.
Was ready to switch back to Loc-OS but installed Debian’s…
task-lxde-desktop
update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
Then did a little tidying up and got down to 188MB RAM at idle with fully functional HP 2540 combined printer-scanner :)

Would like your opinion on removing ‘yad’ which requires removing additional automount-antix, control-centre-antix, grubcc-antix, login-config-antix, screenshot-antix and sound-card-antix. Yad seems to control build of dialogue boxes under antix yet LXDE-Openbox controls its own dialogue or GUI interfaces such as LXappearance or LXPanel without issue and can stand alone independent of yad. Why have both – cheers :)
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Not familiar with yad. Are you talking about the web site yad.com, the gaming site?
Rex
Ziggi

Post by Ziggi »

Synaptic PM says - Yad allows you to display GTK+ dialog boxes from command line or shell scripts. It is similar to Zenity but with more dialog types and options.
All those antiX GUIs use it.
Cheers