UNOFFICIAL antiX-23 “init-diversity” spin or LXDE..?

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Ziggi

UNOFFICIAL antiX-23 “init-diversity” spin or LXDE..?

Post by Ziggi »

Well yes? UNOFFICIAL but OFFICIALLY available from their web link to…
https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... s/Testing/

There are pages upon pages of self congratulation by the usual culprits for this leviathan of complexity with the largest menu list I have seen thus far not to mention the four init systems OMG…
I also add my congratulation with respect to such complexity requiring only 235MB RAM at idle on my old 2013 Dell Laptop.

The owner and devs perhaps never encountered the KISS principle…?
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid :roll:
Systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore, simplicity should be a key goal in design, and unnecessary complexity should be avoided.
The Unix philosophy emphasizes building simple, compact, clear, modular, and extensible code that can be easily maintained and repurposed by developers other than its creators. LXDE is an excellent example.
Attributed to Albert Einstein, although this may be an editor's paraphrase of a lecture he gave. "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler".
Colin Chapman, the founder of Lotus Cars, urged his designers to "Simplify, then add lightness"
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. 8-)
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" – My principle – Need I say more?

Having gained some enlightenment – excuse the pun - you can now compare the complex antix-23.1 init-diversity-edition with my simple AntiX-23 LXDE.
https://imgur.com/a/KNHltp2

There will be those who need, or think they need Debian’s Swiss Army Knife designed by a competing diverse committee. There will be others who just need an efficient fast and stable distro to get their work done. Equally there will be others assured no unnecessary processes draining resources allowing them to indulge their leisure time fully without fuss or distraction.

Antix claim their distro is aimed at the Linux newcomer – lol :lol:
Even their crude panel modifier fails miserably compared to LXDE….
Remember? - The project was started in 2006 by Taiwanese programmer Hong Jen Yee (Chinese: 洪任諭; pinyin: Hóng Rènyù), also known as PCMan, when he published PCManFM, a new file manager and the first module of LXDE.
Antix have still not caught up or even got close in 18 years….!
I will make a new post about the simple Noob friendly LXPanel soon

From the quotation - Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away -
Is there anything left to take away? Yes..! At least another seven packages or apps but would mean loosing my favoured screenshot-antix :( and also the control centre.
Ziggi

Re: UNOFFICIAL antiX-23 “init-diversity” spin or LXDE..?

Post by Ziggi »

Just dropped antiX Diverse onto my old 2008 HP G60 3GB Laptop and was surprised just how well it performed.
So credit is due to the developer and others at antiX for controlling the load on processor with 220MB RAM used at idle – well done :)
Of course it will never match AntiX-22 Full LXDE at 147MB RAM but I have to say how well it performs, faultless, even when pushed hard on this old 3GB laptop. :o
Here are some screenshots at imgur - https://imgur.com/a/uguYNz3