d-bus problem

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
andrey

d-bus problem

Post by andrey »

First thank you making LXDE ! I love it .
Yesterday i used minimal Ubuntu install on a old machine . It is older Dell p3 933 with 256 mb ram and 4 mb on pci ati video .
I did try Ubuntulite script with no luck so i decided to go at it by my self .
Since i did not get my first PC until i was 34 years old , that was 5 years ago , i would say i am very happy to have learned as much as i did to get system set up from terminal up . I have complete desktop with abiword , media players , codecs , heck even Shiki colors for very cool looks .

Now i have a little stumbling block .
When i open Banshee i get d-bus not running error . It still plays , but i do not like errors , and i have d-bus installed .
Do i need to autostart it and how do i do it ?

Also , i have set my time wrong , how do i change it , since there is no pretty gnome applet i am used to ?

And one more thing . If i wish to copy my desktop settings to a new user , can i just copy some config file and have it look same .

Cant wait to have these things worked out and to make remaster for my friends . !

Thank you all in advance for any tips and solutions !
archibald haddock

Re: d-bus problem

Post by archibald haddock »

If it is saying, dbus not running, you should start dbus. :) I dont know how it is done on ubuntu, but you could probably copy/link some init script to the /etc/init.d/ folder.
For time changing you can use the date command in terminal, man date will explain it.

Yeah, you can just copy config files. But you mgiht have to change permissons to be able to edit them again with the new user. chown can do that.
andrey

Post by andrey »

Thank you for a replay ! I will try copy/link to initd and for date info . As for user settings , which one should i copy ?
I will try all this tonight .
knedlyk

Post by knedlyk »

In Ubuntu dbus starts with hal, so you have to install hal if you don't have it, start hal and hal will start dbus immediately. Another way is to start dbus by /etc/init.d/dbus restart. It is very strange, that you have dbus installed but not started. Installed dbus starts by default in ubuntu.
Jabber: echo zdstsz@xwdjf.enw | tr zuenstfxjwd ymcorplgima
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

There are actually two instances of dbus normally, one the "system" dbus that is started by the init scripts, and one the "application" dbus that runs per user. I find that the "application" dbus is started automatically when it is needed, but this may not be happening for you. Maybe your distro can help.
andrey

Post by andrey »

During boot i see that dbus is started but i guess problem is with per application version . I think that after all this i will go back to a virtual box and try with fresh set up . In the mean time i will try Xfce version of PCLOS on my oldie .
Btw , i did post on ubuntu forum , but so far there have not been any solutions . So far my problem is really minor one since all that i still need is media player i like . Banshee plays but always gives dbus warning ( and brings in all mono dependencies as well ) , rhytmbox crashes , so does muine and exaile and listen. It looks like a common problem in the background they all share .

Also is there a finished .iso of Fedora spin with LXDE ?
sdennie

Post by sdennie »

Banshee is probably trying to access the session bus. How are you starting X? Using "startx" or a display manager like GDM? If you are start it with start, you can add the following line to ~/.xinitrc:

Code: Select all

eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)
If you are starting with GDM, you may have to put that in ~/.Xsession (or just symlink the two files together for good measure) but, that may be distro specific.
andrey

Post by andrey »

Good day folks! Thank you for all your suggestions .
This morning i have tried a new approach . Instead starting with nothing i went the other way . First i installed xubuntu and then lxde , then i started removing stuff . After removing all of xfce , thunar , open office stuff and bunch of other junk and adding medibuntu and few other thing all seems to be kosher . I got even rhytmbox running nice and lite and flash . When idle system uses about 90 megs of ram and only it is little slow while opening bigger apps like Firefox .
All in all i could not be happier . Now i am making remaster for when new piece of old hardware needs to be revived .
Thank you for all your help , i am sure i will be back since i am now considering moving my main pc to lxde as well , an old p4 2.4 from 2002 .