Crunchbang features that could be added to LXDE

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
Chriswaterguy

Crunchbang features that could be added to LXDE

Post by Chriswaterguy »

CrunchBang Linux is basically Ubuntu with a modified version of LXDE on top (some but not all LXDE modules, plus some extra features). So it should be very easy to take features from CrunchBang and make them available in LXDE.

Here are my favorite CrunchBang features that I think should at least be made an option in LXDE, or even enabled by default:
* Super+space opens the Openbox menu (same as right-clicking the desktop).
* A nice, easily customizable menu (with a GUI menu editor, accessible via Preferences on the menu).
* Shortcut keys are displayed on the desktop.
* System info displayed on the desktop, using conky (RAM & CPU usage & more). This is customizable.

I'm sure there are more, but these ones are really handy. Some of these may be available in LXDE already, but they weren't obvious to me when I was using Mandriva+LXDE, but they're standard in CrunchBang and I love them.
paxman

Re: Crunchbang features that could be added to LXDE

Post by paxman »

Here it says it only uses PCManFM and LXAppearance from LXDE.
Chriswaterguy

Re: Crunchbang features that could be added to LXDE

Post by Chriswaterguy »

paxman wrote:Here it says it only uses PCManFM and LXAppearance from LXDE.
I think that's talking about applications, not components of the desktop. In my autostart.sh, I see lxsession and lxpanel.

And of course because it uses the Openbox window manager, (the same as LXDE, there is a lot of compatibility, and I think any other component of LXDE can usually be used in Crunchbang with no problems. I would guess that any of the tweaks that Crunchbang has added to Openbox could be easily applied in LXDE as well.