Desktop icon issues

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
alansecker

Desktop icon issues

Post by alansecker »

I would like to change the displayed name of one or two icons but cannot find a way to do it.
I want to add a desktop icon pointing at a string. eg. "/usr/bin/firefox" 127.0.0.1:631
This points to cups, but again cannot see how to do it in LXDE.

I am running PCLinuxOS by the way.
M_Mynaardt

Re: Desktop icon issues

Post by M_Mynaardt »

alansecker wrote:I would like to change the displayed name of one or two icons but cannot find a way to do it.
I want to add a desktop icon pointing at a string. eg. "/usr/bin/firefox" 127.0.0.1:631
This points to cups, but again cannot see how to do it in LXDE.

I am running PCLinuxOS by the way.
I figured this one on my own. By trial and error; which really means "mostly error".

It's an easy fix; all the icon buttons are actually text files with things like the icon name, the execution (app) command and all that.

To change the name of the icon on the desktop, open your application.desktop file with a text editor and look for the Name=Application Name line and change "Application Name" to whatever you like. Although it won't display long names, so keep the name short.

Here's an example I put on my own desktop; a trash-can icon. I just made a desktop icon ("Trash.desktop") and used a trash can icon file of my liking, made the icon name display as "Trash" and got the icon to execute PCManFM to open the trash folder. The text in my Trash.desktop file looks like so:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Trash
Comment=RunPCManFM
Icon=/home/buddy/.extra-icons/trashcan-128x128(c).png
Exec=/usr/bin/pcmanfm trash:///
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Hope that's what you're looking for...
:geek:
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

LXDE is your computer's Friend!
Always trust LXDE!
sigur

Re: Desktop icon issues

Post by sigur »

Hello. Maybe you could help me. I can see the trash can on the left panel of pacman but when I click it the url trash:/// is displayed but with no files.

In terminal I can see the files in ~/.local/share/Trash/files but I can not see them using the trash can icon.

please, help me.

Regards