EJECTER Indicator applet not working Lubuntu 12.04

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
mick823

EJECTER Indicator applet not working Lubuntu 12.04

Post by mick823 »

I had the indicator applet EJECTER installed on Lubuntu 11.10 and it worked fine. After a new install of Lubuntu 12.04 the application doesn't work. This is an Applet that resides on the panel and you click on it to "eject" ( safe remove) USB drives, portable drives or SD cards. The application auto starts once it is installed but crashes on system start up. I am not sure if this is a dependency issue or if the applet is just not compatible. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks
Rex Bouwense

Re: EJECTER Indicator applet not working Lubuntu 12.04

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I don't use it. As a matter of fact I didn't even know it existed. However, it worked in 11.10 but doesn't work in a fresh install of 12.04. Is that correct? How did you install Ejector Applet (Software Center, apt-get, or Synapic Package Manager)? Not that it makes much difference. I found no bugs reported in Launchpad so try uninstalling (to include the config files) and then re-install. Take good notes because I suspect that you may be filing a bug report.

Rex
Rex
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Though I don't run Lubuntu. If me. I would check the applet first and see what command it uses to launch first. Then Open a terminal and run that command in terminal and see what errors terminal spits out.
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
mick823

Post by mick823 »

Though I don't run Lubuntu. If me. I would check the applet first and see what command it uses to launch first. Then Open a terminal and run that command in terminal and see what errors terminal spits out.
Ran command "ejecter" in terminal and got the following output: Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have spent hours trying to figure out why it won't run in Lubuntu 12.04. Checked all the dependencies, tried complete removal in synaptics and re-installing. It is a nice little app but not worth this much effort.
mick823

Post by mick823 »

UPDATE:

I did a new install of Lubuntu 12.04 and installed the ejecter application from the repository. Same results as before with the application refusing to run. After some digging around I came across a bug report that reads in part:

"I'm inclined to just propose removing ejecter from the archive until it is fixed. It depends on NBS libgdu-dev/libgdu0 and crashes on startup (bug 996739 among other crashes)."

I checked the repository and found that the libgdu-dev package is not installed by default while the libgdu0 is installed by default. I installed the missing package and Bingo! It works like charm. I now have that lttle pyramid shaped icon sitting in my panel that I can click and instantly do a safe removal of my thumb drives and SD cards.

I can't confirm that this application will work in Lubuntu 12.10. It was removed from the 12.10 repository. If I remember correctly it crashed on start up with the 12.10 version rather than just refusing to run like the 12.04 version.