I want to complete the shutdown without entering a password.

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
wkgiztk

Post by wkgiztk »

Please treat me well.

I have installed and used the desktop "lxde" on ubuntu22.04.
(1)
When you press the shutdown button, you will need to select your ID and enter your password.
I would like to be able to shut down this without entering a password.

with sudoers (visudo)
I tried %groupname ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, but for some reason it doesn't work.
I went to look at the official website of lxde, but the wiki shows 404 Not Found and I can't see it.

(2)
I would like to force the created user to change their password when they log in for the first time.

I know that I can force it by running chage -d 0 username, but similarly to (1), I can't do that on lxde.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
Rex Bouwense

Re: I want to complete the shutdown without entering a password.

Post by Rex Bouwense »

As far as I know there is no requirement to select your user name and enter a password to shut the computer down using any desktop environment. You will be warned that others are signed in (if there are any) but you will not be prohibited from turning the computer off.
Assuming you are an administrator you can force a user to create a new password in Ubuntu by selecting that option when you create the user.
Rex
JamieOhara321

Re: I want to complete the shutdown without entering a password.

Post by JamieOhara321 »

I suggest creating a script named "shutdown" on your desktop. Add the line "#!/bin/bash; sudo shutdown -h now" to the script. Make the script executable with "chmod +x shutdown" in your terminal. Wordle Unlimited