boot problem

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
bwwoods

boot problem

Post by bwwoods »

hello ,
I'm a newbie to Lxde, and have downloaded debian-live 506-i386 lxde-destop, the live CD works fine on a newer computer but when I tried to boot on an older machine it starts to boot and then shows the following message this kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU ---"CMOV"
at this point the program fails to load any further.
Can anyone give me any information about this
Thank you
Brian
Frank

Re: boot problem

Post by Frank »

Although it has "i386" in its name, the live CD seems to need an "i686" processor or better. It's a known bug since, whow, more than one year now -- see this thread: http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=560. In other words, your older machine is too old for the Live CD.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

Run a real distribution like Lubuntu or Fedora LXDE Spin or OpenSUSE LXDE. These are up to date and will be serviceable.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Marty Jack wrote:Run a real distribution like Lubuntu or Fedora LXDE Spin or OpenSUSE LXDE. These are up to date and will be serviceable.
While this is excellent advice for bwwoods, people with older computers will continue to download the ISO file from the LXDE site -- wasting their time, bandwidth, and good-will. Would it be difficult to either remove or at least rename these ISO files?
bwwoods

Post by bwwoods »

Frank wrote:Although it has "i386" in its name, the live CD seems to need an "i686" processor or better. It's a known bug since, whow, more than one year now -- see this thread: http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=560. In other words, your older machine is too old for the Live CD.
Hi Frank thanks for the information you were right the older machine is just too old to run live CD although it will run the latest version of ubantu it's just too slow for that version.I did try Marty suggestion but that also seems to need an i686 processor I was just trying to find a lighter version to run on the older machine ,guess I'll have to stick with the windows program and use it for storage thanks again
Brian
bwwoods

Post by bwwoods »

Marty Jack wrote:Run a real distribution like Lubuntu or Fedora LXDE Spin or OpenSUSE LXDE. These are up to date and will be serviceable.
Hi Marty did try your suggestion and ran Fedora LXDE Spin, this didn't run either it also calls for i686 processor thanks for helping
Brian
Frank

Post by Frank »

There are several small Linux distributions that may run on the older machine with satisfactory speed. SliTaz, Puppy Linux, and TinyCore come to mind -- there are certainly more. All of them have a graphical user interface. The live ISOs are between 10 MB and, I believe, 100 MB. The first in my list (SliTaz) is highly polished and comes with LXDE. Alas I could not immediately find their hardware requirements.
bwwoods

Post by bwwoods »

Frank wrote:There are several small Linux distributions that may run on the older machine with satisfactory speed. SliTaz, Puppy Linux, and TinyCore come to mind -- there are certainly more. All of them have a graphical user interface. The live ISOs are between 10 MB and, I believe, 100 MB. The first in my list (SliTaz) is highly polished and comes with LXDE. Alas I could not immediately find their hardware requirements.
Hi Frank
Sorry for the delay in my response I have downloaded puppy linux and it seems to be working pretty well just trying to get everything configured and accustomed to the operating system right now it is running total in RAM I'm not quite certain if it would be a speedier if it was loaded to the hard drive, at boot-up it does take several minutes for it to load from the CD into RAM. I guess my question is if the operating system is loaded to the disk does that free up the space it now takes up in RAM,I know this must sound basic.
Thanks for any thoughts
Brian
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hi Brian,
I am not an expert for any of the three distributions. They all have their own message boards where you can get advice from more experienced / more specialized people.

That said, you will need to make two separate decisions: (a) where to load the operating system from (CD-ROM or hard disk), and (b) how to load it (completely to RAM, or not). The first choice determines the speed of booting. Booting from hard disk will be much faster than booting from CD-ROM. The second choice determines the speed of running the system. If your machine has lots of RAM, then running everything (operating system + applications) from RAM is fastest. But your older machine most likely will not have very much RAM (by today's standards). Then it is best to install the operating system and the applications to the hard disk. In that case the Linux kernel takes care of what should be copied to RAM, and what should stay on the hard disk, at any point in time.